cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Office unspecified Error

Microsoft Office unspecified Error

JK1736
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I purchased a new computer and downloaded Dropbox. I can open JPG and PDF but can not open Microsoft office files like excel or word. I receive a unspecified error. If I go to smart lync and download the office file to local, I can open the files. however it will not pull the files and open them when online only is checked in the smart sync option. Any suggestions? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Villiage13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Issue seems solved, it’s been a couple weeks and things are running just fine. Uninstalling ad re-installing of MS Office takes literally under 3m.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JK1736 - welcome to our Community!

When it comes to 'Online only' files, note that these aren't the real files, rather they're mere placeholders (that take up miniscule space compared to the real ones).

The 3rd party app, Microsoft Office in this case, that's trying to access them is having troubles opening/editing or previewing them until they've been made 'Local' thus including the needed information for 3rd party apps to work with them normally. 

Let me know if this makes sense and if you have any follow up questions, don't hesitate to give me a nudge; I'm always a post away! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JK1736
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walter, thank you so much for your quick reply. your analysis sounds spot on. I have 5 computers. I just purchased 3 new ones and only 2 new ones are having this issue. Can you suggest a solution? 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you for your quick response as well @JK1736 - I'm glad I could help clear this up. 

What I'd suggest in this case now is this: Create a designated 'for edits'  folder, copy or move the files you'd like there and keep it relatively small in size for situations where you need to work on the files that will be accessed by the 3rd party apps you're using. 

That being said and since you mentioned that you've noticed this only on some devices, if you'd ike me to look into this with all of our tools at my disposal just let me know and I'll be more than happ to create a ticket for you. 

Thanks again! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JK1736
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, please use all the tools at your disposal and please help find a solution. If I am having an issue with only 2 new computers ( as mentioned earlier the others are fine), I am sure others are having this issue as well. Its an inconsistent problem. Please assist . Thanks. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift reply @JK1736!

I've just sent you a brief message so we can investigate further.

Whenever you get some spare time, please take a look at your email's inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Villiage13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good Day,

I'm having the same issue as described in this thread. Was there a solution? I also have multiple computers that do not have the issue, but one that does. 

Thanks.

JK1736
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nothing. We are probably leaving for Onedrive shortly. Amazing how they cant find a solution and thousands of people are having this issue. 

Villiage13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@JK1736 I just re-installed Office from the 0365 Portal, as had been suggested on another thread about this issue and it worked. At least for now. I had done the online repair option in the settings menu under settings-apps & Features-MSOffice and Modify and it worked for a few minutes, then reverted back to not opening files unless they are local to the machine. I'll let you know if this holds up for the next little while. 

JK1736
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank would be excellent. Please let me know. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JK1736 Explorer | Level 4
    DeanG New member | Level 2
    Villiage13 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?