cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Word documents won't sync

Microsoft Word documents won't sync

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi!

Microsoft Word documents won't sync for me (I'm using a Mac). I've used Word and Dropbox for years and never had this problem before. I got a new computer recently and it all worked fine for the first week, and then yesterday Word just stopped synching. I open a document, work in it, and when I save, it saves to the hardrive but it won't sync--the red x icon appears.

All other file types are syncing just fine, including Microsoft Excel. I've tried restarting all the programs and the computer and I reinstalled Word. 

The strangest part is if I close the document and change the filename in finder, then it will sync. It does take longer though than if I do it with any other file type.

Or if I am in a document, do a "save as" and change the filename, the new file will sync. But if I'm working in a file and just hit save, it will save to my hardrive but it won't sync. I'm an editor and this is a huge problem for my workflow. Any suggestions? 

Many thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

skyflyer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello!

Dropbox support helped me - I had to manually add dropbox to Full Disk Access and this apparently solved my issue. The steps:

1. Click on the apple icon in the top left hand corner of your screen
2. Select "System Preferences..."
3. Then "Security & Privacy"
4. Select the Privacy tab
5. Select "Files and Folders"
6. Under Dropbox ensure everything is checked
7. Select "Full Disk Access"
8. Under Dropbox ensure everything is checked
9. Select "Accessibility" 
10. Under Dropbox ensure everything is checked

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @mrflannery, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Out of curiosity, could you let me know what happens when you:

• Move one of the Microsoft Word files that have the red X icon on them outside of the Dropbox folder and then back in?
  • Create and save a new Microsoft Word file inside of the Dropbox folder?

Could you also confirm for me if these files are all inside one specific folder or located in multiple paths throughout your Dropbox folder?

Keep me posted, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Lusil,

If I drag a file with the red X icon onto my desktop and back into its originial Dropbox folder, it asks if I want to replace the file, I allow it, and then that file syncs fine and I get the green checkmark.

If I create a new Word file in a Dropbox folder, it syncs when I first create it, but then if I make changes and hit save, it won't synch (I get the red X).

Yes, I have tried Word files in many different Dropbox folders and they all are having this same issue.

Thank you so much for your help!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking that out for me, @mrflannery

Could you also try the following steps in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the 'Option/Alt' key.
  • Click Fix Hardlinks (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key).
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If the above steps don’t resolve your issue, repeat the first six steps, but on the seventh step, click Fix Permissions, instead. 

Let me know if this helps - thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hello @Lusil,

I tried the steps you listed, fixing both the hardlinks and the permissions and am still having the same issue unfortunately. I'm hoping you might have another trick up your sleeve...?

I'm super grateful for your efforts!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @mrflannery

Hmm. :thinking: Do you by any chance have any pending updates to your OS? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Nope, @Lusil. Everything is up to date. It's a weird one!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for checking that out for me, @mrflannery

Could you have a look at our Support page and check to see your options to contacting our team?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Will do, @Lusil! Thanks!

skyflyer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Was there any update on this issue? I'm having the same issue. When I close Word, Pause syncing and Resume syncing, the file syncs. Otherwise, I get the same red cross.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

djayk New member | Level 2
    mspappas New member | Level 2
    mat d New member | Level 2
    mrflannery Helpful | Level 5
    Shacka Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?