cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Word documents won't sync

Microsoft Word documents won't sync

mrflannery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi!

Microsoft Word documents won't sync for me (I'm using a Mac). I've used Word and Dropbox for years and never had this problem before. I got a new computer recently and it all worked fine for the first week, and then yesterday Word just stopped synching. I open a document, work in it, and when I save, it saves to the hardrive but it won't sync--the red x icon appears.

All other file types are syncing just fine, including Microsoft Excel. I've tried restarting all the programs and the computer and I reinstalled Word. 

The strangest part is if I close the document and change the filename in finder, then it will sync. It does take longer though than if I do it with any other file type.

Or if I am in a document, do a "save as" and change the filename, the new file will sync. But if I'm working in a file and just hit save, it will save to my hardrive but it won't sync. I'm an editor and this is a huge problem for my workflow. Any suggestions? 

Many thanks!

30 Replies 30

BBY34
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have been having the same problem. Any solutions?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @skyflyer and @BBY34, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

Out of curiosity, did you try any troubleshooting mentioned on this discussion, including following these steps

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Shacka
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there any update to this problem?? Im having the issue and its becoming quite time consuming to use the work arounds..

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Shacka, thanks for joining us here.

Just to clarify, if you use the steps mentioned previously, do your files sync until the next time that they're edited?

Which version of Microsoft Office are you using?

Also, which version of the desktop app do you have installed?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

skyflyer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The problem is still present for me as well. I need to quit word, pause syncing and then resume syncing. Otherwise, I get a red cross icon, and the file does not sync. You can see from the screenshots.

The finder status:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 16.46.51.png

The dropbox Recet status:

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 16.47.12.png

The Dropbox version (v102.4.431):

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 16.48.49.png

Is there a way to enable debug logging so I can see what goes wrong?

Also, there is no way I can "Fix hardlinks" option as mentioned in another post - I simply can't find it in the app.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @skyflyer, apologies for the delay here!

Can you let me know which version of Office you have installed? If possible, can you try reinstalling the Word app to see if that does the trick?

Also, can you let me know exactly which step you're getting stuck on when trying the "Fix hardlinks/permissions" option? If you can navigate to the account tab, please try clicking in the empty space of the window before pressing the "Alt+H" keys.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Shacka
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am using 16.39 (Latest Microsoft 365) and Dropbox 102.4.431

Can we now put some man hours into thois problem as its now causing me time at my end having to remember to rename the file and then change name to original to get it to sync, which of cause should be an automatic process

A very disgruntalled Dropbox user

Neil

skyflyer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello @Daphne,

I'm using Word 16.39. This problem is not present with Excel, for instance.

I have Dropbox v102.4.431. When I open the Preferences, the first selected "tab" is "General". I then click on "Account" and as written in the instructions, click in the window, then press alt/option key, but nothing happens. There are only two clickable items: "Unlink this Dropbox..." button and a help button (question mark). See the attached screenshot.

I even tried reinstalling Word (as strange as this seemed to me, because it is just files syncing, afterall).

Let me describe the steps to reproduce this problem:

1. Open a Word (.docx) file in Dropbox.

2. Change it

3. Save it - The dropbox icon in the Finder turns to "red cross"

4. Close the file

5. Open the file again in Word (the file icon changes to syncing, then green checkmark)

If I change the file and save the file again, it will turn red again.

I can also fix this by pausing Dropbox syncing and resume dropbox syncing.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports on the matter. 

Due to sensitive information that may be necessary to have a better look into this for you, could you please contact our Support team and let us know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated with the interaction?

If you have any trouble submitting a ticket, don't hesitate to give us another nudge and we'd be happy to send you one. 

Keep us posted. Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Shacka
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ticket #10916691

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

djayk New member | Level 2
    mspappas New member | Level 2
    mat d New member | Level 2
    mrflannery Helpful | Level 5
    Shacka Explorer | Level 4