Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mirroring folders on two synced computers

Explorer | Level 3

I just recently bought a new laptop computer for work purpupses, companion to my old dsktop at home, which is already synced with dropbox.

Now. in order to have more fluent workflew I want to sync the new device with Dropbox in such a way that all of the synced folders of the older computer will appear on the new one as a genuine local folder. I know such a configuration can be achieved easly.

However, given that the new computer contain only 64 GB of storage I need the folders in the new one to be a kind of mirror of the original, that stored on my computer back at home and synced with dropbox servers, and not an actual local folders with syncing capabilities (like in my current computer). Basicly, these folders at the new computer should be a "virtual" folders and act as a link to the actual ones.

Does such a thing is even possible on Dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Mirroring folders on two synced computers

Super User II
Super User II

If you have a Plus, Professional or Business account you can use the Smart Sync feature. It allows you to set files and folders as either Local where the file exists on your computer, or Online-only where the file appears on your computer but doesn't actually exist on the computer. It's just a pointer to the file online.

Any Online-only file that you try to open on the computer would be downloaded and marked as Local. When you're done using the file you can mark is as Online-only again.

Also, when you install Dropbox, you'll have the option of starting off with your entire Dropbox as Online-only.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Mirroring folders on two synced computers

Super User II
Super User II

If you have a Plus, Professional or Business account you can use the Smart Sync feature. It allows you to set files and folders as either Local where the file exists on your computer, or Online-only where the file appears on your computer but doesn't actually exist on the computer. It's just a pointer to the file online.

Any Online-only file that you try to open on the computer would be downloaded and marked as Local. When you're done using the file you can mark is as Online-only again.

Also, when you install Dropbox, you'll have the option of starting off with your entire Dropbox as Online-only.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?