cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Computer Files

Missing Computer Files

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I recently synced files to my Dropbox account but now thousands of my files inside folders are missing on my computer. I see all the files when I view them in the Dropbox browser or the desktop app but navigating on my computer to find individual files shows only empty folders.

Also, there is a folder that looks like Dropbox created in the browser and app called My Mac but that's not visible to me on my computer. I've looked everywhere. Sometimes I need to work on files without internet access so having these files available to me locally is necessary. I can't believe how un-intuitive this is. Can someone please help? I don't feel very secure with this. All the threads I've read don't seem to have a real answer to this very basic question.

12 Replies 12

Re: Missing Computer Files

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @LK245, thanks for messaging today!

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application.

Could you check to see if the feature is currently enabled on your machine from the desktop app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

It was set that way but while waiting on an answer I disabled everything. I'd like to know how to proceed though. I'd like to have my files available on my computer to navigate in but also have the ability to back up new files or changes made to those files. Thanks so much for reply!

Jay
Dropboxer
If you want those specific folders to be backed up to Dropbox, then you'd need to enable the computer backup feature and let it complete the sync.

Those folders would be moved into the Dropbox folder, and would be visible on the computer. 

However, if you want to sync files in general and don't mind if the files aren't in the folders you wanted, the normal Dropbox folder would work just as well.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, so I will enable computer backup and let it sync. But, why am I not seeing most of my files in a folder that Dropbox created called My Mac? This folder is in Dropbox online and the desktop app but doesn't appear in my finder. Is it because the sync hasn't fully completed?

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

I have started the set up for the computer backup for my desktop and document folders but I am getting a message under documents that says "You don't have permission to back up 1 file." I hit "continue anyway" but I'm wondering what that is? The help link didn't shed any light on why.

Jay
Dropboxer
The My Mac folder should appear in the Dropbox folder in Finder itself.

It's possible that there's a system file which isn't able to sync. As to what file that is, you might be able to see if the file doesn't have a sync icon on it.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

The My Mac folder does not appear in the Dropbox folder in my Finder. I can see it in the browser but not my computer. I have my preferences set to open folders in Finder but don't see My Mac at all.

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you attach a screenshot showing the Dropbox folder as it appears in Finder in order to assist further?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

LK245
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, attaching a screenshot. I also just got a notice in the desktop app that all files are up to date now so it's strange that I can't see my files on my computer.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 8.19.09 PM.png

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    LK245 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?