cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Files after Update

Missing Files after Update

kirekberg
Explorer | Level 3

4 days ago a did an update that Dropbox requested.  When it finished syncing, a bunch of my documents are missing.  What can I do to retrieve them?  Can I go back to a previous version?

7 Replies 7

Re: Missing Files after Update

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hello @kirekberg, let's see what we can do here. 

Could you have a look at your deleted files tab in case you find the missing files there?

If not, check out your events page for any recent record of these items.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kirekberg
Explorer | Level 3

Nothing in the deleted folder.

And it was at this event "The computer DESKTOP-9GSP0DJ was linked to your account" that a bunch of my files disappeared.

Lusil
Dropboxer
In this case, it sounds like computer backup was enabled, which added your Documents folder to your Dropbox folder. 

Could you have a look in your Dropbox account, either locally or online, to see if you are able to find the files you're looking for?

If you don't find them, could you hover over the Dropbox icon (next to your computer's clock) and let me know what the syncing status is?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kirekberg
Explorer | Level 3

It has completed synching.

I looked online yesterday and again today locally and the files are still missing.

It looks like files between 2019 and the 2/24/21 sync are missing from Dropbox

Lusil
Dropboxer
Ah apologies, I misunderstood that you enabled computer backup, when you simply just connected a new device. 

Is there any chance the files were synced or originally uploaded to another account?

Since each one is associated with a unique email address, could you have a look at the email you used to login on the desktop app and the website?

You can cross-check that by going to your General tab online and the Account tab via the desktop app's Preferences.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

kirekberg
Explorer | Level 3

Same email for both.

However, I wonder if I clicked the wrong option when the update did whatever it did.  

I have found on my c: drive that I now have an "Dropbox (old)" that has all my files.  And I have a "Dropbox" folder that is now what I see when I go online or to my app.

Is there a way to get the online and app versions to show my Old Dropbox and not the "new" one that doesn't have my most recent files?

Daphne
Dropboxer
You can move over the files from the Dropbox (Old) folder to the new Dropbox folder on your computer @kirekberg, so that the app will sync the files to your account online.

Moving the files to the new Dropbox folder can be done either by dragging and dropping them, or you can copy and paste them, whichever actions you usually use to move files on your computer.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?