cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Folder

New member | Level 2

I access my dropbox from both my laptop and my desktop. recently I put in a folder of over 70+ documents into my dropbox on my desktop, and had been accessing various of these documents for over a week.

About a week ago I moved some files from my laptop into a different folder in my dropbox. When i went back to my desktop, i realise i don't see these new files, despite both laptop and desktop indicating both are up to date. So I logged out of my dropbox account and re-logged in on my destop, and i see the files originally from my laptop.

Today, I realize that that entire folder of 70+ documents that I had been working on my destop had disappeared. It does not appear as deleted files (or Folder), does not appear in rewind. I stupidly did not make any back up copies of those files yet. I have tried searching my whole hard disk of both laptop and desktop but no trace of the folder or any of the individual files. I am able to see the files in microsoft word, but when i try to open any of them, it comes up the directory name is not valid. Any ideas on how to retrieve my files?

2 Replies 2

Re: Missing Folder

New member | Level 2

I have also tried searching my whole dropbox, and none of the files, or the folders can be found. I don't think it's a space issue as i'm only using about 1+GB of space

Re: Missing Folder

Dropboxer

Hi @inverse2000; thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about your missing files

Can you please let me know if you remember seeing those files on our website at all? 

Also, could you take a look at your events page to see if there's any sign of them there? This is the place where all uploads, edits and deletions are normally logged so it should give you a hint.

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?