cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Folders and Files

Missing Folders and Files

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

After learning that my Macbook Air was going to require a reformat and reinstallation of the OS, I dragged all of my important folders and files into Dropbox. When I got my computer back and signed back in to Dropbox, to my horror, I can only see files/folders from over 4 years ago. NONE of the recent files/folders that I dragged into Dropbox are there. I am devastated to say the least and can't for the life of me find a telephone number to call for support. I'm hoping (praying) that there may still be a chance of recovering these folders and files. I use Dropbox basic and this only happened about one week ago. Any thoughts. suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

11 Replies 11

Re: Missing Folders and Files

Chris_J
Super User

Hello AV8TR

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  Let see if we can figure this out.

When you dragged the files into Dropbox folder and before you shut your laptop,  did all the files finish uploading to the cloud?  just dragging it to the folder doesn't instantly upload, and it depends on your ISP speed.  Usually, you can tell if it's done, is to look at the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.  If it is working on syncing, you will see a rotating blue icon on Dropbox black icon, or if you clicked on the icon,   it will tell you the status of  Dropbox.

Did you by chance check this out before shutting down your Laptop?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that the uploads were complete.  I even went back in to Dropbox hours later to confirm that they were indeed intact within Dropbox. The files/folders were not overly big and they were very important to me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris_J
Super User
Well, how long ago did you check? And are any other devices linked to this account?

Did you clicked on deleted files? We’re there any files listed as deleted? https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/recover-deleted-files-folders

Do you have basic plan or pro?

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

I have the Basic Plan and no other devices. Folders from the past 2-3 years appear to be missing and there are no deleted files.

Chris_J
Super User
Okay how long ago was it that you checked online? You stated you verified the files were there. I assumed that you checked the web interface (Dropbox Server) and seen all the files

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

Just prior to taking my Mac to Apple, I opened the DropBox tab in Finder and saw all of my files and folders in there. I could easily open them at that point. It was after the reformat and when I downloaded and reinstalled Dropbox that I discovered them all missing (except for years old files/folders)

Chris_J
Super User

@AV8TR wrote:

Just prior to taking my Mac to Apple, I opened the DropBox tab in Finder and saw all of my files and folders in there. I could easily open them at that point. It was after the reformat and when I downloaded and reinstalled Dropbox that I discovered them all missing (except for years old files/folders)

Okay, just to clarify things, did you check the actual folders on your Mac or did you see the files thru the web interface?  or other words, did you use a browser and go to dropbox.com?  

if you did not use a browser, and just checked the literal folders, then you didn't save it to Dropbox.  If tho you did use a browser and went to https://www.dropbox.com/h  and saw those files there then it was saved to Dropbox servers (The Cloud)

Most users forget that it takes time to upload it to the internet (cloud) and they just shut the PC down.  But in your case,  it should had been saved to the Cloud if enough time elapse 

It sounds like you didn't make sure it was uploaded to the cloud.  You just opened up the literal folder (Dropbox) and saw it there.  which would be gone when reformatting took place.  I hope I am wrong but it doesn't sound good

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

Chris, I think you hit the nail on the head. I did not go in through a browser, only to the Dropbox tab in Finder. Although I would think that files and folders from literally months ago would be there, unfortunately, they are not. So, I guess I’ve been wrong for years about how Dropbox works. I thought that simply dragging files over to Dropbox would safely store them in the cloud in case, as happened with me, there was ever a computer disaster. Most of what I lost can never be rebuilt. Guess I’ll just have to take it one day at a time! Enough sleep lost over this. Thank you so much for your time and patience with me!

AV8TR
Explorer | Level 3

Also, very quickly, what was I actually looking at when I viewed my files/folders in the Dropbox tab? Where did they reside? Thanks again!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

AV8TR Explorer | Level 3
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?