cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Missing desktop files after deleting dropbox

Missing desktop files after deleting dropbox

chopchop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 
a while ago (6 months ago) I downloaded DropBox app and checked syncing with my personal Desktop files (although I think I disabled that immediately). It synced, but because I was using free version, only 2GB from my 60GB desktop were stored, the rest was not. Some time ago i uninstalled Dropbox (but now I am confused if i really did) and everything was fine. I kept on living like that since then, no issues, but today when I found I still have some remaining of files with 'Dropbox' in their names, I deleted them and all my Desktop files are now gone + I cannot save anything on my Desktop as it is just gone
also, when I check what is my Desktop is pointing to it says "Desktop -> /Users/chopchop/Dropbox/My Mac (iMac (Chop))/Desktop"
So I assume I just deleted my Dropbox directory today, and by deleting it, I deleted my desktop files which were not stored in Dropbox unfortunatelly. 

Should I just reinstall dropbox? When I try, it says that original dropbox directory is missing or relocated. Should i just create new directory and move app there?
do u have any idea how to resolve lack of Desktop + this referencing, or do u recommend any files-recovery software which could help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @chopchop, sorry to hear about this. 

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature at some point. 

If that's the case, you can find the steps to disable it here

As per your missing files, do you see any signs of them in your deleted files page or the events page?

If not, they never made it to our servers, so you may need to be looking for them locally on your device, be it in their original locations or your trash can. You could also try enabling hidden files to show in Finder to see if you can find any of them that way.

Keep me posted anyhow!

Mod note: updated links in post [last update 2023]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

40 Replies 40

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @chopchop, sorry to hear about this. 

It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature at some point. 

If that's the case, you can find the steps to disable it here

As per your missing files, do you see any signs of them in your deleted files page or the events page?

If not, they never made it to our servers, so you may need to be looking for them locally on your device, be it in their original locations or your trash can. You could also try enabling hidden files to show in Finder to see if you can find any of them that way.

Keep me posted anyhow!

Mod note: updated links in post [last update 2023]

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

chopchop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, thank you for your interest

So yeah, I enabled backup of my Desktop at the time of installing the app and forgot to turn it off before uninstalling the Dropbox directory from my home directory (Although, I remember being confused about the option that appear after you click on "Manage backup" - "Keep content in folders on this PC/Mac" (cause I thought deleting files from Dropbox will delete files from my computer anyway) and instead of checking it, I just left backup turned on šŸ˜• ). 

So my Desktop since then was inside a Dropbox directory, and by deleting Dropbox directory, I deleted my Desktop content

By reinstalling dropbox in original location, the link to desktop was also restored and my files from Dropbox appeared on my Desktop, although it wasn't up-to-date cause my backup was old and not completed fully. 

And yeah, unfortunately I empty my trash immediately after deleting the stuff so it is gone but at least it helped me recover from being too attached to all clutter that I collected so far. And I saved some space now.

Cg28
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I deleted files similar to Chop Chop but I was able to restore from my recycle bin. How to I delete the backup folder on Dropbox without deleting files on my computer.  Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Cg28, thanks for the nudge here.

To delete the backup folder without deleting your desktop files, you'd need to disable the backup feature and move your files back to their original location first. 

Did you try following the steps my colleague @Walter provided above?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Cg28
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey @Hannah!

Thanks for getting back to me. I FINALLY found where the backup button resides thanks to your suggestion to look at Walterā€™s comment. But now I need to know do you mean by moving them back. Do mean create the zip file?  I appreciate any help you can give me. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Perfect, I'm happy to see you were able to find the button to disable computer backup.

During this process, you should have been asked if you want to keep your files in their original locations (step 6), was that not the case?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

DonaldLiberatore
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Somehow drop box is backing up in real-time everything I do on both computer and iphone.

How do I stop all this activity, and safely delete unwanted files/folders from drop box WHITHOUT deleting them from my computer.

Should I choose to delete from my computer, will the files be  then deleted from drop box? 

Should I choose to delete from drop box, will the files be then deleted from my computer?

Will drop box delete from 'ONE-DRIVE' AND 'SUGAR SYNCH????

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @DonaldLiberatore, thanks for commenting here. 

It sounds like you've enabled computer backup on your Dropbox application. 

At this point, any file you delete from Dropbox, will be deleted from your computer and vice versa.

You can disable it and move your files back to their original locations, by following the steps here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Confusedashell
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. My docs are gone. I repeated the steps above but still no luck. This is terrible. What am I doing wrong?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    cento New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    OG246 New member | Level 2
    Weifang5 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?