cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing excel files

Highlighted

Missing excel files

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I am having trouble with either my dropbox or excel saving to it. I edited my recent VAT returns using the excel online option and saved as normal to dropbox at the end. For some reason it has deleted 6 months worth of these files and in the version history aswell as the current file. I am unsure if the issue is with dropbox or excel but I am wondering if you could offer any advice?

I have switched to Chromebook and I am wondering if thats any connection? My accountant also cant see on his end 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Missing excel files

Dropboxer

Hey @annmariemassagetherapist, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Since you've already had a look through the file's version history - great work on the initial troubleshooting - could you also check out your events page and recents for any additional information on what could have happened? 

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @annmariemassagetherapist, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Since you've already had a look through the file's version history - great work on the initial troubleshooting - could you also check out your events page and recents for any additional information on what could have happened? 

Let us know what you find, cheers!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Good afternoon, 

for me exactly the same happened. For the last 10 days I updated a shared excell file every day, nothing dissapeared. Today a collegea opened this file and everything we changed in the last 10 days has dissapeared, as well from the history log as the events page. The other changes I made in the same folder are still there. Is there ANY way to get my last file back, because it is the only copy we have.... 

Sincerely,

Marieke

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
I upgraded to the advanced subscription and then I got my files so maybe you could try that?
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hm, lets give it a try! Thanx

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Nope, history is still missing :/

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info here @Marieke Pieke!

Can you let me know what actions you see related to this file when you check your Events page here?

Is it possible that the file is being deleted and then added back again? 

There was another Community member who had a similar issue that was caused by the Excel Online app deleting the file and creating a temp file in its place while it was being edited, and then adding the file back again after the editing was done.

Also, can you try doing a search in your account for the file name (which will also show deleted files) and let me know if perhaps you can find the previous version of the file there?

Let me know what you find there!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?