cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing file error message on iPad

Peter4563
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. On my iPad Dropbox, I have recently been getting the error message:

Missing File        ‘original’ has been removed outside of the application. Do you want to close or restore the file?

This only happens when I press the ‘make available offline’ button, to either save to my iPad, or delete from my iPad. The actual files are unaffected, whether I press ‘restore’ or ‘close.

This is irritating and seems a pointless delay. Any ideas? Thanks!

49 Replies 49

Re: Missing file error message on iPad

Super User II
Super User II

Which version of Dropbox you using @Peter4563 ?

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Peter4563
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark. It's 142.2.4

FrankF New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem in my iPad. Very irritating!

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey peeps, I’m sorry to hear you’re having this issue!

@Peter4563 and @FrankF, as a first step, could you try clearing the cache of the Dropbox app on your devices and let me know if you see any difference in the behaviour here? The steps are as below:

1. Open the Dropbox app on your mobile device.
  2. Tap the Account tab.
  3. Tap the gear icon in the top left corner.
  4. Choose the option “Clear cache” towards the bottom.

If you still see the same behaviour, would you mind sending a screenshot of the error message that you see (excluding any personal info)? Also, can you clarify for me, do the files become available offline or are you still unable to do this?

Looking forward to hearing from you both - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

When trying to make a file available offline, I receive an error "Missing file...", any ideas?

JRNZ
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all

i have a new error message which now occurs every time I try and save a file for viewing offline. It reads as follows...

Missing File

’original’ has been removed outside of the application. Do you want to close this document or restore the file?

can anyone help please?

Re: missing file error message

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @JRNZ,

Can you please confirm for me, is this issue is occurring when trying to save a file as “available offline” in the mobile Dropbox app?

Would you mind providing a little more info such as the OS of the device you are using, the type of file you are trying to make available offline and the size of the file? Also, does this occur only for a specific files or all files? If you could send me a screenshot of the error message (excluding any personal info), this would be very helpful.

Looking forward to hearing back from you - Thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JW1954
Explorer | Level 3
I get this too. If I say restore file all is then good. Been getting this for a couple weeks now.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @JW1954,

Would you be able to provide a little more background info on this, such as I requested above? This will help us to narrow down the issue and try some troubleshooting steps. Any screenshots of this message would also be very useful.

Thanks!

Daphne

JRNZ
Explorer | Level 3
That is correct- saving offline, iOS 12.3.1, pdf. Not sure what size as it happens for all files if all sizes...
Many thanks
John

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?