cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files - I only see some files that were recently shared with me. What happened?

Missing files - I only see some files that were recently shared with me. What happened?

Explorer | Level 4

Hello there,

I don't use Dropbox very often, but had some photos in my account. I just tried accessing those photos, and I can't find them! The only files I see are ones that were recently shared with me from someone else. How can I find my photos?

Thank you,

Shelley

6 Replies 6

Re: Missing files

New member | Level 2

Hello Shelley,

I have a same problem recently and i don't know how do it to find very important files who are miss. No moving history also on my account. No back up.

Re: Missing files - I only see some files that were recently shared with me. What happened?

Dropboxer

Hello there @shelleyrg and @FR-Kristeuffeur, sorry to hear you're both having trouble with this!

Is it possible that you may have signed into a different Dropbox account under another email?

When was the last time that you accessed the account and saw the files that you're missing now?

Let me know and we can go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Missing files - I only see some files that were recently shared with me. What happened?

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, Daphne. My email never changed. There was a previous issue with my personal account being merged with a business account, but that was rectified and the files were transferred back to me in Feb 2020. I may have logged on and checked after that, but can't remember. I know for sure they were there in Feb. All I see right now are some files a client shared with me in October. 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shelley

Dropboxer

Can you find any sign of them in your deleted files page or the events page perhaps @shelleyrg?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for chiming in, Walter. And no, no sign of them in the deleted files or events. I went back to 2/1/20 and 3/1/20 under Events and it displays nothing. The files were transferred back to me from my client's business account (she never should have had acces to them in the first place because they originated in my personal account), so I wonder if they were SHARED back to me instead of transferred, then deleted from her biz account. Is that possible? 

Dropboxer

In that case, you can also take a look at your account's 'Shared' tab to see if you can find any sign of them there, Shelley. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?