cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files after zipping and moving out of Dropbox, how can I recover them?

Missing files after zipping and moving out of Dropbox, how can I recover them?

New member | Level 2

I'm missing files from my Dropbox. I was starting to exceed the limits of my free subscription and tried to zip a bunch of older files then move them to a different cloud service I don't use as much to open up Dropbox without having to pay for a subscription I can't really afford right now. But not all the files I wanted to move got zipped, and now there are older files that I can't find on Dropbox, the other server, or even within the zip file. I also don't see them in the trash on Dropbox. Can they be restored? Help! These are mostly a lot of photos with special significance that can't be replaced, i.e., kids birthdays etc.

1 Reply 1

Re: missing files

Dropboxer

Hi @nolefan32, I'm sorry to hear about that!

Could you just clarify for me, did you download the files from Dropbox and then delete them to free up some space? If so, around how long ago was it since they were deleted from Dropbox?

Since you're not able to see the files within the deleted files page, can you try doing a search in your Dropbox account for a few of the missing file names?

Also, do you see any actions regarding these files from your Events page? If you're not sure when the files were deleted, you can check from your Events page too as it shows the activity in the last 6 months.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?