cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files and mystery folder added

Missing files and mystery folder added

NSCP
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

There are a number of shared folders missing from my dropbox. There is one in particluar that was being added to last week by one of the those sharing. It is now gone.

Additionally, there has been a folder added, it says I am the editor, but I am not. 

I have looked in the deleted files and event lists but cannot find these.

Can you please help me?

5 Replies 5

Re: Missing files and mystery folder added

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @NSCP, thanks for posting today!

Could you check the shared folder list to see if it's been deleted, so that you can add it back to your account?

If you received an email to say you were given edit access to a folder, but you don't have it, then it's possible the owner could have changed those permissions on the shared folder.

Are there definitely no events related to the shared folders being removed from your account?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NSCP
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay 

Thanks for getting back to me.

For all intents and purposes, I am the account owner (taken over from colleage who left-late November). 

On January 21, I logged on to take over the account to sort it out as a message had been received that it was full. I found a random folder had been added which I deleted (saving contents to external storage). Shared folders that I expected to see were missing.

The Event log has someone logging in as account owner and adding a new folder with documents on January 7. I am assuming this activity may have removed existing folders. There is no evidence in the event log regarding these missing shared folders.

How do I trace this activity to recover the missind folder/s?

Also, is i possible for one of the accounts' sharers to log in as account owner? If so I may very likely have a security issue going on.

Jay
Dropboxer
Are you sharing account credentials for a single account, or is this a Dropbox Business team with different user emails and accounts?

If you click the ellipsis and enable 'Show deleted files' in the Files window, are you able to see the deleted files and folders?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

NSCP
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks again Jay for your suggestion.

I clicked the ellipsis and to 'Show deleted files' in the Files window, and could not see any deleted files and folders.

However, I was able to establish that a 3rd party had access to a shared device (laptop) which had the dropbox account open on it. 

The person I contacted said they had transferred files from the C drive to dropbox (their account.) I belived that, unaware that they were accessing the wrong account, mistakenly deleted/removed files. Possibly transferring them to their own account.

I will have to look into this a bit further.

If I am correct, would it still be possible to recover the files?

Jay
Dropboxer
If you're not seeing any deleted files, then it means that it isn't possible to recover the folders, since there isn't a history of them.

The only place it could appear is the shared folder list, or the events page.

Please could you check them again, to try to add the folder back, or see if there was any mention of being removed from the shared folders?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?