cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files from the last two years

Missing files from the last two years

duketv
Explorer | Level 4

Dear support,

Did a clean install of my computer two weeks ago and reinstalled Dropbox again, but it turns out I am missing my files that I have uploaded the last TWO YEARS! The are neither on the desktop version nor on the web version and these files are quite important.
Please advice on how to recover these files.
Both my events page and deleted files page are empty as well 😞

Kind regards,

Duke

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Missing files from the last two years

Mark
Super User II

I'm afraid the simple answer is that if the Events tab, deleted tabs and all others one are not showing activity then there is no way to recover via Dropbox - as they simply didnt exist on Dropbox. 

At a guess Dropbox for whatever reason has stopped syncing on your devices and you've not noticed. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

If events is empty then that means there has been no activity on that account.... my guess is you have accidentally logged in to a second account or created a new one. 

What is www.dropbox.com/account/security showing up about connected devices? Are there any not on there that should be which would give clues to above. 

Unfortunately if things are not on Events etc. they are not recoverable via Dropbox.... but should be if you log on to the right account

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

duketv
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your assistance with my query! 🙂
Unfortunately, I cannot imagine that I created another account, because I would have used the same email adres as I do with this account. However the Security page shows me that there are five devices connected and two web browsers. Most of them are used 2-3 years ago, which coincide with the time that my last synchronization was done..

Do you have an idea on how this can help me retrive my files? And secondly, how come my folder has not been synchronizing for the last two years, while I have been mainly been using only one computer?

Again, many thanks 🙂

Mark
Super User II

I'm afraid the simple answer is that if the Events tab, deleted tabs and all others one are not showing activity then there is no way to recover via Dropbox - as they simply didnt exist on Dropbox. 

At a guess Dropbox for whatever reason has stopped syncing on your devices and you've not noticed. 

View solution in original post

duketv
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark,
Thanks again for replying. Not happy with my missing files but there is no way but to accept it happened or now and true to recover everything as best as I can. Again, many thanks 🙂

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?