cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing files

Missing files

kappaeksdee
Explorer | Level 3

I haven't used my dropbox client for some time. Opened it up a couple of weeks ago, and loooots of files (music files) were missing. Nothing appears in the deleted history. I didn't uninstall dropbox at any point. Where are the files??

15 Replies 15

Re: Missing files

Rich
Super User II

@kappaeksdee wrote:

I haven't used my dropbox client for some time.

How long has it been since you last signed in to the account? If the account had been idle for more than a year it would have been deleted due to inactivity, and you're now signed in to a new, empty account.

kappaeksdee
Explorer | Level 3

No idea, but that's the thing. Not all files are deleted, maybe 50% of them. I have a folder called "mash-ups" which was filled with other folders and it now contains only 2 folders.

Mark
Super User II

What is www.dropbox.com/events showing regarding the missing files?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

kappaeksdee
Explorer | Level 3

It shows I edited 5 files on the 25th of December (this is where I realized most of my files were gone).

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @kappaeksdee, aside from those 5 edits, do you see any other info about the missing files?

Is it possible they're in a shared folder that isn't on your account any more? 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kappaeksdee
Explorer | Level 3

No that's all that exists. 

No, this is the only account that I have and I have no other shared folders (mash-ups is a sub-folder of "Prodd" which is my shared folder). I was baffled when there should be atleast 10-20 folders in there when it was only 2 left.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Where would you usually access and edit your files from @kappaeksdee? Eg. the website, desktop app or mobile app.

If you were checking your files using one of the apps on a device, do you possibly have the missing files still on that device?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kappaeksdee
Explorer | Level 3

I just open the folder through Windows Explorer on my PC, same as I always have.

Jay
Dropboxer
Just for clarification, you said that you definitely saw these files located on your computer in the Dropbox folder two weeks ago, is that right?

Was the Dropbox desktop application running normally and syncing? Have you tried checking the recycle bin, or using a data recovery program to try to restore them from the machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?