cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing finder Smart Sync icons

Missing finder Smart Sync icons

alderking
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This morning for some reason all the Smart Sync icons in finder windows have disappeared. Syncing is still functional, but the icons are gone. I've restarted, re-installed the app, toggled "enable Finder integration" on and off, all with no result.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Creative Soul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Okay I just relaunched the Finder and all my icons appeared again. I don't think the issue is DropBox... the issue is with Finder.  Sometimes toggling the view at the top of the window works (icons / list / columns)... it seems as though Finder needs 'refreshing' to see the icons.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear that, @alderking

Initially, could you also please ensure that you're looking at the correct path of the Dropbox folder by clicking on the Dropbox icon next to your desktop's clock and then selecting the folder icon that appears on the Notifications menu? 

Could you also send me a screenshot of what your Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it? Does it read that it's up to date?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

alderking
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Initially, could you also please ensure that you're looking at the correct path of the Dropbox folder by clicking on the Dropbox icon next to your desktop's clock and then selecting the folder icon that appears on the Notifications menu? 

Path is correct.

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 17.06.02.png

Could you also send me a screenshot of what your Dropbox icon shows when you hover over it? Does it read that it's up to date?

Dropbox says it is up to date (see above) and shows the current version (I downloaded and reinstalled the current stable release just to be sure, but still no icons....)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the additional details and for the screenshots, @alderking

Just to ensure troubleshooting, have you also tried out the following:
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon from your Desktop and quit the app.
  2. Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder.
  3. Force quit out of the instances of the Dropbox app that are running by searching for Dropbox in the search bar, then clicking on the x (force quit icon on the top left).
  4. Re-start Dropbox from the apps folder by double-clicking on the Dropbox app.
  5. Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen.
  6. Click on force quit.
  7. Relaunch the finder.
If you’re still experiencing trouble with this, I’d recommend moving this discussion to email, where I can contact you directly to your email address associated with your Forum profile. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

alderking
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Went through all the steps as instructed -- no change. (There were no extra instances of Dropbox running in Activity Monitor).

To be clear, Dropbox IS syncing -- it just isn't displaying any icons in finder windows, so I don't know what has synced and what hasn't.

Yes, let's please move this to email if you would be so kind.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming this, @alderking!

I've sent you an email to the email address that's connected to your Forum profile, so please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jannone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same issue, and have tried the steps in this post and others, including restarting in safe mode and installing only Dropbox to ensure no conflicting apps. Still does not work. Thanks for your help.

-John

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey John, thanks for trying out some initial troubleshooting steps - awesome work! 

Could you confirm if you also have had a look through the suggestions mentioned here

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

The suggested tips on closing down Dropbox and re-starting worked for me.  Thank you!

Creative Soul
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How about sharing the solution with the rest of us? Isn't that the point of a forum? Why only email the solution to the person asking?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lynmac Collaborator | Level 8
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    andyleonard New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Mamigon Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?