cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing folder after sync

Missing folder after sync

Explorer | Level 3

Decided to "sync" and use dropbox to backup my files.  I thought i would get opportunity to select specific folders.  After it started I paused and the tried to restore but not sure it worked.

My personal computer seems to be uploading files now as well.

I'm missing folders on my laptop and really need them.  I did not delete them - there is no delete history in dropbox.

Please help.

4 Replies 4

Re: Missing folder after sync

Dropboxer

Hi @chipper513, I'd be happy to help out with this!

For the backup feature, you can sync the Desktop, Documents and/or Downloads.

While you can choose which of these 3 folders you want to sync, there isn't an option to choose the subfolders that you'd like to sync from those.

To disable the backup of any of the 3 above mentioned folders that you no longer want to sync, please follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

If you then just want to sync a few subfolders of Desktop/Documents/Downloads, I can suggest moving these folders into Dropbox and creating a shortcut to the folders in the original location. 

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
I'll try tomorrow. One of my folders actually moved. I was able to find it by dumb luck.
How can I stop all sync and backup?

Dropboxer

Hey @chipper513; sorry to jump in but I was just wondering if you still have issues with this.

In case you do, could you send us the app's status as shown within your system tray/menu bar?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

not sure what you mean by status.

Hovering over icon says "up to date" and Dropbox 110.4.458.

As best I can tell every single file on my computer has a green icon next to file name and i must have uploaded all of my laptop to my dropbox account.

Friday evening i'm going to use the "undo" or reverse-whatever-the-hell-I-did function and stop dropbox from syncing anything on my computer.  i only wanted to automatically backup specific folders in case of trouble.  i do not want to work exclusively from the cloud and upload/download all my files.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?