cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mojave - Mac keeps re-syncing

Highlighted

Mojave - Mac keeps re-syncing

Explorer | Level 3

MacbookAir 2019, macOS Mojave patched to date, Dropbox 87.4.138.

Dropbox is OK and stable on 2 other Mac synching this content, but my new Macbook Air seems to re-sync completely several times a day, causing the Mac to run with fans full on and affecting other processes. No problems on the other two Macs. This MBAir replaced a 2013 model on which Dropbox worked just fine. The 2019 MBAir was configured from from the old MBAir's data using Migration Assistant.

Originally all seemed well but every day, the new MBAir kicks off repeated re-syncs and this on a Dropbox whose content changes little and is normally only accessed from a one Mac at a time (i.e. 3 devicies in series rather than parallel, so to speak).  The new Mac is the olny one with this bhaviour. I've logged out and back in, restarted the Mac before logging back in, Still no joy.

Can this be fixed? 

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Mojave - Mac keeps re-syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @mwra, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you. 

As a first step, could you check if there's a third party app, like a security software, that could be triggering or hindering the syncing process? 

Could you try temporarily disabling your antivirus and see if that creates a change in behavior? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

In short, no. No AV, no extra new apps that aren't/weren't working with the same software  on the Macs with no problem and with this OS/data when on the previous MBAir.

Since, migrating the macOS & data from my previous MBAir about 2 months ago, the only problem has been with this Mac. I notice that a lot of the time, the green 'tick' marker is missing from most of the Dropbox files/folders.

The app's feedback is also pretty useless. It says 'syncing' N files but doesn't tell me what they are so I can see if certain files or folders are problematic. BTW, I have checked the Dropbox files/folders for odd permissions and there are no problems I can find.

In summary, a working Dropbox on the same (Mojave) OS was migrated to this Mac since when Dropbox has sync issues. Two other Macs syncing the same data have no such problem.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @mwra

Could you also try following the steps below in the following order to see if they help?

1. Click on the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock. 
  2. Click on the avatar icon that you have on the top right corner of the pop up menu.
  3. Go to Preferences...
  4. On the Account tab, hold down the 'Option/Alt' key.
  5. Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Option/Alt' key).
  6. You may be asked for your computer's username and password, not your Dropbox's.

Once you do this, please give it some time for the desktop app to index any changes. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

OK, done (permissions reported reapired). Now, to wait and see. 

edit: typo

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Give me a shout when you have an update, @mwra

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?