cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

More than one Dropbox folder?

Helpful | Level 5

I have the Pro account and a lot of data there.  I keep a lot of it (currently 392gb) available on my internal SSD (465gb net).  I use SmartSync for older files/folders.  However I am very near the limit of the internal drive.  So, I have just added a 2nd 512gb (477gb net) SSD to the PC.

But what I'm learning from the site is that it's currently not possible to have more than one DB folder on a system.  Or can I?

Alternatively, can a DB folder span more than one physical drive?

If all answers are no, then please add this to the "wouldn't that be cool" list of improvements/development ideas for the next version.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: More than one Dropbox folder?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @dlunday

Welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

Currently, there isn't a supported or recommended way that you can have the Dropbox folder syncing in two separate locations or paths at the same time. 

Feel free though to check out and post in our Share an idea, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

my be the motherboard does not support two DB

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @dlunday

Welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

Currently, there isn't a supported or recommended way that you can have the Dropbox folder syncing in two separate locations or paths at the same time. 

Feel free though to check out and post in our Share an idea, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @dlunday,

In fact actual limitation is related to single Dropbox folder (per account). All account content must be (currently) inside this folder. In this context if your system do not support splitting folder content between more partitions/drives (as is on Windows) then it's not possible to have "more than one DB folder" on different partitions/drives. If your system support splitting (mounting in fact), then you can workaround. For example in Linux many partitions/drives can get 'sticked' (mounted) in single directory.

Hope this clarifies the things.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?