cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most recent versions of files are missing

Most recent versions of files are missing

Explorer | Level 4

There are two Word files I update several times every day that I store in Dropbox.  When I went to open them today, the most recent version available was from 11/30/2020, 2 weeks ago.  I'm a habit of clicking the save button at least once most days, so even if I forgot to save it when I shut down yesterday, which is highly unlikely because World would have warned me, it seems extremely unlikely I wouldn't have acted on my habit of frequently saving either of the files even once in 2 full weeks.  Checking their history here on Dropbox, I see no history on either file since 11/30.  I see a couple of other files in the same folder with 'last modified' dates that seem considerably earlier than my memory of doing more recent updates. Could something have happened to your server's files lately?  

What concerns me more than the loss of 2 weeks of work on these two files is the loss of confidence I'm feeling in Dropbox. I keep these particular files there because they're among my most valuable.  If there's no explanation for this, I have to rethink my strategy for keeping my most valued files safe.  I'm wondering if updates to other files in Dropbox have been lost too. 

I'd appreciate any help figuring out what could have happened.

5 Replies 5

Re: Most recent versions of files are missing

Dropboxer

Hello there @JulieBABI, I hope you had a good weekend!

From what you mentioned, if there's no version history recorded between 2 weeks ago and now, it suggest that the files weren't syncing to your account online.

Most likely, this could be caused by a connection issue with the app, or the app not running altogether.

Does this sound like a possibility? Did you happen to check the sync status of the app between these times?

I can also suggest checking your events page here, to see if there was any activity in your account in the past 2 weeks.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for looking into this.

I did check the events page and it showed no events since 11/30. 

I did not check the sync status in between since i've never had trouble with Dropbox not syncing, so it wouldn't have occurred to me to do so. 

Is there anything more that can be done about this situation for these files' lost content? 

My bigger concern now is that I no longer feel I can trust Dropbox so I guess I will have to reconsider my whole strategy for storing these most crucial, frequently-changing files and/or for backing them up manually. 

Is there anything YOU can suggest? 

Thank you,

Julliette

Explorer | Level 4

I already replied to your reply, but I have another question. 

This system says there are two replies to my question, but I can only figure out how to see a single reply. How can I see the second reply?! 

Julliette

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @JulieBABI.

If you're not seeing any actions in the events page, it suggests that the desktop app wasn't syncing during this period.

This could have happened for a number of reasons, like the app wasn't running, or there was an error that would have shown in the app.

I understand it's not much to go on, but I can recommend checking the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray before closing your device to make sure it's running and syncing.

Just from a glance, you can see if there is an issue. Eg. the icon won't be there if the app isn't running, or it will show an icon for the current status, as outlined here.

As for the missing edits of the files, since these changes never made it to Dropbox, we wouldn't be able to restore these through Dropbox.

I can suggest checking if the app you used to edit the file can be used to restore a previous version of the file.

While this isn't exactly what you were looking for, I hope this helps to clarify the matter. If you have any questions, let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you @Daphne,

Well we didn't manage to salvage the 2 weeks of lost data, but I appreciate your raising my awareness that it's easy to glance at the Dropbox sync status icon and to check periodically that my edits are making it to the Dropbox servers so I can take action if not. 

Thanks for your help!

Julie

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?