cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Mounting drive in sub-folder of dropb-folder does not work -> no syncing

Explorer | Level 4

Howdy,
so I just learned that sym-linking to an external folder - or drive - under windows 10 is no longer working ... which is really painful for me.

My usecase: I want to sync files in a dedicated dropbox folder as well as a smaller sized folder on very fast storage to my dropbox account. Everything worked linke a charm, till working support for external symlinks was dropped.

My solution: I just mounted the fast storage drive to an empty folder under my dropbox folder.

My result: folder is not synced.

Do you have any solution for me?
TIA
Steff

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Mounting drive in sub-folder of dropb-folder does not work -> no syncing

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@sthuber wrote:

... - under windows 10 is no longer working ...

My solution: I just mounted the fast storage drive to an empty folder under my dropbox folder.

Hi @sthuber,

You just provoke my curiosity. How you had mount some storage to a folder on Windows? As far as I know on Windows this isn't supported (MAC and Linux another story - ther this is the way). Can you give a tip?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Of course
In the Computer Management app under Storage / Disk Management you can assign a drive letter and as well as an empty folder to any partition of your storage device - even both at the same time.

HTH

Highlighted

Hi @sthuber,

Not exactly! As I already said above, Windows doesn't support direct drive mount on folder. That's something unsupported from Microsoft. Did you try to go in parent folder of your "mount point folder"? Open a terminal navigate to there and execute 'dir'. What actually is your "mount point folder"?!

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hey,

helped in a way, thanks!

Well - without digging deeper into the "correct" technical wording - I have to admit I prefer to treat windows as a box with a gui and sometimes using a shell ... unless it works

Doing a "dir" like you suggested I can read that there is a junction to a - I think - kind of volume mount point (?). So maybe this is very very similar to the the symlink to a folder I used before? Maybe ... Still I created it in a very different way

And it does not work with dropbox :(

ATM I am still hoping to find a solution with dropbox ... mabe you got any idea?

Highlighted

@sthuber wrote:

Doing a "dir" like you suggested I can read that there is a junction to a - I think - kind of volume mount point (?). So maybe this is very very similar to the the symlink to a folder I used before? Maybe ... Still I created it in a very different way

Yes, that's nothing more than a symbolic link, doesn't matter how it's created. This link don't point to any mount point, but to alternative partition notation, like a share (the classical notation is a DOS letter). For referring to particular place could be used multiple links (one or more) using different notation manner (alone or together).

@sthuber wrote:

ATM I am still hoping to find a solution with dropbox ... mabe you got any idea?

Unfortunately, as I have noted above, I don't know, any way multiple drives/partitions to be represented in a single folder on Windows (that's not a problem in Linux, for example). While Dropbox conception requires everything to be in a single directory structure, I'm afraid, there is no such solution. I (and many other persons) already mentioned in many other thread, that a conception change to a virtual folder/drive representation of Dropbox account content representation would let easy sync to multiple different location (possibly on different drives/partitions). Unfortunately from Dropbox side nobody wants to hear about. Support for such a representation is available in all supported platforms (even somehow different again on Windows, but available).

Let's hope Dropbox gonna change their mind.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Yeah, let's hope. And let's hope soon!

My renewal is due in a few months ... and I am already paying for a Terabyte I do not need - and can not use due to this restriction (was planning to, but ...)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?