cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move failed advive

Move failed advive

Explorer | Level 4

I'm a Dropbox plus member, and am currently using just 3% of my storage. I am using the app on my iPad, which until now has worked great.

Today though I have been trying to move image files between folders within Dropbox and am getting constant messages telling the move failed... or, even more bizarre, a message saying that I cannot move files between shared folders (both folders in question are not shared!). 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and even tried to use Safari rather than the app, but with the same results.

Please can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance 

6 Replies 6

Re: Move failed advive

Dropboxer

Hi @Wez, thanks for messaging today!

If you're getting this message, then the folders should be shared or inside a shared folder, even if it's to one member. Could you check if the folder icon has a two-person icon on it? You can then unshare the folder using these steps.

Regarding the message, are you able to move the file on the Dropbox site on a desktop device, or in the Dropbox folder?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply @Jay 

I only have one folder within my Dropbox that is shared, and none of the ones I'm trying to move are within that. I had tried to move some other images this morning between one folder I was using this weekend and another different one (again not a shared one) with the same results.

Most of the attempts seem to trigger the 'unable to move' message rather than the shared folder message, but I seem to be still getting both messages at different times, when trying the same move. Even more odd, last night I was trying it again, and got the 'unable to move' message, but it then moved 2 of the 5 files between the folders! 
I haven't had access to a pc over the weekend so don't know if it would actually work on a windows browser, but so far I have been trying it on the iPad app, the iPhone app, safari browser, and on my husband's galaxy phone browser (using my own login details) and seem to be having the same issue on each of them... I have been constantly logged in on all but the galaxy phone for over a year and have never had this problem before.

I hope that helps you come up with a potential solution. Thanks again.

Dropboxer

If you can get a screenshot showing this error message, it would help a lot to see what the issue could be related to.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay

Just FYI I had also contacted tech support before I posted in here, and am now also liaising with a guy on email too. I'm not sure if that makes a difference to you?

Some of the screenshots...

3B26831E-9249-4412-8053-3217CF3B96C2.pngAEFAF34C-8C4F-4BA7-AE82-9C4DFAB76D53.pngAE050F21-E5F9-43C5-9CA3-501F40FAEFC2.png9004CB65-BED0-4364-818D-42AF1C7E98AF.png637620B8-343A-4FDD-A378-9E8E5A1AFC8B.pngFD74ECC0-5D60-4353-9AAB-BD7591EBC5C1.pngD58B282B-C3C6-450C-ABB7-14AB14BC149B.png

Explorer | Level 4

2 more screenshots of the folder pathway, as I said none of the folders are shared.

Thanks 

2C04D515-5194-4E13-A4CE-40B38AC9D10A.pngB2B89B7A-C1BE-46C1-91D2-34369121BA15.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for all those screenshots @Wez!

As you're troubleshooting with a member of our Support team, I might suggest continuing with them via email for this issue.

This is just to make sure that the troubleshooting is consistent, and they will be able to look into this with account specific info too which we're not able to do from here.

We can pass along all the info you shared with us here if you'd like to, please just provide us with the ticket number for your case (eg. #1234567). Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?