cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move larger number of files within dropbox

Move larger number of files within dropbox

sjpeer
New member | Level 2

How do I move a large number of files and folders within my Dropbox account without forcing the sync to delete and copy each individual file?

For example, if I move file "test.jpg" into another folder, the sync will will delete the file from it's current location, then copy re-upload or re-copy the file via the cloud to each individual computer.  This can take a long time.  

Is there a way to have Dropbox recognize that the files were moved and simply move them at each end node?

2 Replies 2

Re: Move larger number of files within dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@sjpeer wrote:

Is there a way to have Dropbox recognize that the files were moved and simply move them at each end node?

They are being moved. What you see as a deletion on each PC is actually the file being moved into a hidden cache folder, and then moved back to it's new location. This move to cache also happens if you delete a file online, and is done as a way to aid in the quick recovery of a file that may have been deleted in error. Files in cache will remain there for a short time before being removed automatically.

Re: Move larger number of files within dropbox

sjpeer
New member | Level 2

Thanks for letting me know.  I guess it will just take a while.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?