Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved W10 user Desktop, Documents, Pictures to Dropbox folder on 2nd internal drive

rasworth
Explorer | Level 4

Decided to get serious using Dropbox on several W10 systems in the household, as well as assortment of mobile devices.  Upgraded to Plus, moved the Dropbox folder from the system drive to a second internal drive, then configured my main system per the title (using the Location tab in the key user folders' properties).  Had to sort out Outlook, didn't find the .pst file initially and had minor difficulty with account profiles.  As of one day later everything seems to be stable.  Installed Dropbox on a second W10 system, set its Smart Sync to online only for the first system files.  My goal is to configure all the systems similarly, so that all data is visible to all systems.  And yes, I know, I need to watch out for security.

The configuration combines data accessability with automatic backup, seems to run quickly and smoothly (should state I have 1 gigabaud Internet service).

So the question is has anyone else gone this route, any problems develop?

Richard Southworth

6 Replies 6

Re: Moved W10 user Desktop, Documents, Pictures to Dropbox folder on 2nd internal drive

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @rasworth; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

While I won't be able to offer much on this, I'll be glad to help with any issue that might come up so please let me know if you need assistance with anything and I'll be happy to follow up.

I'm also leaving this thread open so other users can comment on this as there might be some using a similar set-up to yours. 

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress Richard!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Moved W10 user Desktop, Documents, Pictures to Dropbox folder on 2nd internal drive

rasworth
Explorer | Level 4

Walter,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still wrestling with this, here is the basic Dropbox structure, for three separate one user W10 systems all running under the same Dropbox account:

Computer A
   Documents A
   Pictures A
   Desktop A
Computer B
   Documents B
   Pictures B
   Desktop B
Computer C
   Documents C
   Pictures C
   Desktop C
Miscellaneous

Computer A and its sub-folders are set via Smart Sync to Local for Computer A and Online only for Computer B and Computer C, similarly for B and  C, i.e. each computer has to have local folders for user files and Online only for the other computers.

My main concern with this structure (so far it's working fine) is its susceptibility to one user/computer harming another user/computer files.  A third option in Smart Sync to set a folder as Online read-only would eliminate the concern, i.e. each computer could see and download the other computers' files but could not modify or delete.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - I'm having trouble with terminology, i.e. online vs. offline.  Hopefully it is now correct.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for elaborating on your use-case Richard; I appreciate you took the time to provide me with all these additional details. 

Syncing is a core feature of our desktop app so you shouldn't have any troubles with this setup as Smart Sync settings can be device specific according to your needs. This means that the status of the files on one computer, be it 'Local' or ´Online Only', won't affect your files' syncing at all.

Moving on to your concern now, have you considered using our selective sync feature instead of Smart Sync?

With selective sync, you can choose which folders will be available locally on each device you've connected to your account through the app's preferences, under the 'Sync' tab. 

I hope I'm not missing something here and I'm always around if you have any follow up questions! 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

rasworth
Explorer | Level 4

Walter,

Selective Sync would let me hide the folders from one computer on another, and maybe that's the safest way to go.  However, my initial goal was to make all folders visible on all computers, to facilitate data access, and not require using the web browser to access a file on another computer.  I guess I want my cake and eat it too, i.e. somehow protect against accidental file modification/deletion, but still make all files visible across all systems.

I still believe the most "elegant" solution would be for Dropbox to add a third option to Smart Sync, an Online Only with Read Only restrictions.  Now Computer B could see and download all of Computer A's files, but could not modify the source file.

Richard Southworth

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @rasworth, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Although there's currently no option to have a file sync to your computer and lock it so that it doesn't get modified, you can post this to our Share an idea - Dropbox, where other like-minded users can comment and upvote. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions for us, just give us a shout. Have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 

rasworth
Explorer | Level 4

Lusil,

Thanks, I posted my idea as you suggested.

Richard Southworth

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?