cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved a 25g folder to a Team folder. Been syncing 24 hours and still cannot open files.

Highlighted

Moved a 25g folder to a Team folder. Been syncing 24 hours and still cannot open files.

Helpful | Level 5
Business User here. Another admin transferred ownership of a 25gig folder that we were sharing to me. I accepted, then on my end in explorer I moved the folder to a Team folder so that we could better manage future shares. The folder seemed to move fine on my machine, and then it removed itself from the other admins machine, then my entire Dropbox went into a synch nightmare. It has been almost 24 hours.

In this time, the rest of my Dropbox settled down and shows synched (exept a couple files that I have worked on, those are still waiting to sync), however the taskbar icon and the moved folder still show that they are synching/uploading ~78,000 files and that number has not changed at all in 18 hours. The really damaging part is that I can see the files which I really need access to right now on my machine in the team folder, however, I cannot open, copy, etc. the files. I get a file error.

The folder does not show up on the web interface so no help there. This is so not cool as I have spent an entire day chewing off my finger tips. How bad is this? Can anyone please help me get this folder back to accessible? If I view deleted files on the web interface I can see the folder at the original location, however, preview is not available and I don't think that I can restore it. Afraid to try and don't want to prolong this any longer.

Thanks for any time, understanding, and assistance.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moved a 25g folder to a Team folder. Been syncing 24 hours and still cannot open files.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry about this @reido113 - did you get the chance to go through my previous suggestions?

As you say the files existed on the server, the changes you described must have been logged into your Events page too. 

If you go through my previous suggestions and still can't find the culprit you can initiate a restoration from there (the events page). If that doesn't work for you or if you'd like to ask for an account's rollback, let me know so I can put you in communication with our restorations team.

Thank you in advance for your reply. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Moved a 25g folder to a Team folder. Been syncing 24 hours and still cannot open files.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @reido113 - sorry to hear about this.

Has your desktop app synced the changes you initiated yet? 

As you know, syncing your files can take time if you have many files or large files. Just because the files have been placed into the Dropbox folder doesn't mean the syncing has completed. This also happens when you move stuff around as the move is logged as a deletion and then an addition to your account ( as you can see in your Events page probably).

You can see the sync status by holding your mouse over the Dropbox icon normally. Is it still stuck at the same number of files? Would you mind sharing a screenshot so as to get a better understanding of the situation at hand? 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Thank You Walter for taking the time to assist me. When I hover over the Dropbox icon it shows 78,156 files being synched. It has been this same number for at least 24 hours now. I have paused and restarted synching, and rebooted a few times, but after the indexing it just stays right here. I am totally locked out of accessing the files in the folder that I moved and it is hurting me bad right now. I have no way to get to them. I can see them on my local machine, but time and time again I get the error 0x8007080: The file cannot be accessed by the system.
I cannot seem to post a screenshot from my mobile browser. The icon is the blue circle and hovering over it says Dropbox 57.4.89 Uploading 78,156 files...
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info @reido113 - much appreciated. How are you today?

In regards to your inquiry now, syncing can take some time especially for this number of files yet this shouldn't be happening (meaning that the number should be decreasing as time goes by).

If the files haven’t been fully downloaded yet, you can see the sync status by holding your mouse over the Dropbox icon. 

As you said the number stuck for over a day now, I think the issue here might be coming from a file in your Dropbox folder (or even more for that matter). 

To see if there are files in your Dropbox that may have problematic file names please give our lookup tool a try. 

To see a full list of the characters (letters, symbols, or numbers) that may be incompatible with the operating system on your computer please view this Help Center article.

As per the Windows error you get I think it's related to your syncing status yet it would be safer to ask Microsoft directly (I'd hate to send you incorrect information about this).

I hope this points you towards the right direction and please keep me posted on your findings. 

Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation on this one.

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Thank you Walter. My file count has not changed and every computer that had this folder no longer has it on it, as Dropbox removed it in order to attempt the move. The move just doesn't seem to be happening and I deeply fear this loss. A loss that I simply thought could not happen in Dropbox. All of these files existed on the Dropbox server, I just can not understand why I cannot undo this and get to my files. This is getting uglier.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry about this @reido113 - did you get the chance to go through my previous suggestions?

As you say the files existed on the server, the changes you described must have been logged into your Events page too. 

If you go through my previous suggestions and still can't find the culprit you can initiate a restoration from there (the events page). If that doesn't work for you or if you'd like to ask for an account's rollback, let me know so I can put you in communication with our restorations team.

Thank you in advance for your reply. 

Walter

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Walter let me take a look with a fresh set of eyes as I did not see the ownership transfer or move logged at first glance. I will surely report back my findings shortly. Again, Thank you for your direction and assistance! The word restoration leaves me optimistic.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries @reido113 - I am always here to help 

Take as much time as you need to work on this on your end and let me know if you need anything in the meantime please.

Thanks again!

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hello Walter Good Sir. Just an update...

All synching remained frozen the same for 48 hours. We had no choice but to avert and turn to a local backup and re-upload all that we could. We had to succumb to the loss of 1 days work due to the roll back. Good news is that so far the Teams are almost back up to sync.
I had to just delete the hanging large directory from the Team folder on my machine. Once I did this, the sync caught back up and we moved all the recovery files piece by piece back into the Team Folder. A couple painstaking nights I might add...

Anyways, I'd like to let the dust settle before considering recovery of the days work. I Thank You for you tenacity, understanding and assistance throughout this process. You were my only lifeline as customer service was only replying late a night and that was the worst limbo match ever.

Cheers
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear you managed to resolve your concerns in the end @reido113 - all's well that ends well, right?

Should you ever come up with a Dropbox question or issue, please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist. 

Thanks for using Dropbox and I appreciate your kind words too. Have a good one! 

Cheers!

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?