cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moved files showing as deleted = panic attack

Helpful | Level 6

Last night I apparently inadvertently moved a top-level folder containing about 29,000 photos into a different adjacent folder without noticing. Later, Dropbox was really hitting the disk hard but I could not figure out why. The system tray notifications and the main web site didn't show any files being processed. I paused it for a bit to give my hard drive a rest, but resumed before going to bed. When I got to my other computer today, I noticed that a few files I had added to a different folder last night weren't there. I figured I must have forgotten to unpause, but in fact I think it's just that Dropbox hadn't gotten to them yet because it was so busy with the photos. (They showed up later.) Then this afternoon I got a notification that "foobar.jpg and 999 other files were deleted" and then more of the same, and I freaked out a little. I finally reconstructed what had happened and moved the folder back, but for a while I was, well let's say *uneasy*. I'm mainly telling this as an anecdote, and maybe as advice (if Dropbox is using up a lot of disk access, see if maybe it's moving around a lot of files you aren't expecting it to). But also to say, there should be some indication of what's going on when something like this happens. Why didn't my system tray notification say "moving 29,000 files"? Why didn't the web interface have any info about what was going on until it nearly gave me a heart attack with the "999 files deleted" stuff? I mean, the Home screen shows every single time you *open* a file, so how can it not give any info to answer the question "what the hell is Dropbox doing with all this disk access?"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moved files showing as deleted = panic attack

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Karl H.4, I hope you're doing well today!

I'd just like to thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts with us here, your feedback has been duly noted and I'm sure that this will help other users too.

At the moment, when moving items within Dropbox you'll see this reported in your Events page as a deletion and addition event with the same time stamp.

From the desktop app, while the sync status wouldn't show the specific action, you should see the app showing "Syncing... files" and within the file browser, the affected file/folder will show .

I hope this info helps to some extent, let me know if you have any questions - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @Karl H.4, I hope you're doing well today!

I'd just like to thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts with us here, your feedback has been duly noted and I'm sure that this will help other users too.

At the moment, when moving items within Dropbox you'll see this reported in your Events page as a deletion and addition event with the same time stamp.

From the desktop app, while the sync status wouldn't show the specific action, you should see the app showing "Syncing... files" and within the file browser, the affected file/folder will show .

I hope this info helps to some extent, let me know if you have any questions - thanks!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

OK, I will check that next time, thanks.  I didn't find it yesterday because as far as I can tell, there is no link to the Events page anywhere.  Did I miss something, or is it just a thing you have to know about/bookmark?

- And a followup:  The system tray icon on my second computer has had a little red exclamation point on it since I moved the folder back, but it says 'up to date' and there is no sign of activity on Dropbox Home or Events.  I've stopped and restarted Dropbox but it's still there.  thanks

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Karl H.4!

The events page doesn't currently have a navigation link, so I'd suggest just bookmarking it for future reference if you'd like to.

However for a specific folder, you can click the "..." and choose "Events" to see events within that folder.

For the second computer, would you mind sending me a screenshot of the Dropbox icon and the red exclamation point you're seeing? Can you try the following too and let me know what you find:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "View sync issues"

Keep me posted - cheers!

Daphne

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

On closer examination it was a 1 in a red circle, and it went away after I went into notifications and cleared everything.  Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't an issue @Karl H.4!

If there's anything else that I can help with, feel free to give me a nudge here. I'd be more than happy to help.

I hope you have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?