cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving Dropbox Folder doesn't work

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I was able to move my Dropbox folder from my primary internal drive to a secondary internal drive to keep it off the primary in the event of a system drive crash. That move was prudent of me because the event happened and my Dropbox folder remained intact.  Bravo... since then I have planned to upgrade my secondary drive because of needed space for my stored data that shares that drive with the Dropbox folder. I was able to move the Dropbox folder from the primary to the secondary without any problem before, now, I can't get it to move back to the primary so I can upgrade my secondary with a new drive and then move it back to the secondary after I'm done. Is there something I was aware of that allowed me to move the Dropbox folder the first time and after following the same procedure as before I'm not allowed to move it again? Am I missing something that apparently was a simple move the first time to something that may be a bit more complicated this time? I'm getting really frustrated with this as the drive the Dropbox is on now needs to be upgraded. Assumptions are what assumptions are, so I did refer to your instructions as I did the first time.

1 Reply 1

Re: Moving Dropbox Folder doesn't work

Super User
Super User

Hey @IO Error, Are you using the Move from Dropbox preferences? Here is how - https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder Note that, Dropbox won't recognize new location if you just manually copy the Dropbox folder.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?