cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Dropbox folder from C: to D:

Highlighted

Moving Dropbox folder from C: to D:

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Dropbox Help gives these instructions for Move the Dropbox Folder:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar. (Did that, the window says "Dropbox" in bold and lists my folders--this must be my local file listings)
  2. Click Preferences (Linux), or your profile picture or initials (macOS and Windows) I'm running Windows 10: clicking my profile picture only displays my name. Clicking the three dots to the right ( . . .) brings down a menu with Smart Sync > Online only and Local; no Move option)

Start over: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar(This time open dropbox.com with a browser; the window says " Home" and seems to be listing my files in the Dropbox cloud)
  2. Click Preferences (Linux), or your profile picture or initials (macOS and Windows) (Getting somewhere: there is Upgrade; Settings; Install Dropbox app; Sign out. Click Settings, but. . .)
  3. Click Sync (on macOS you’ll first need to click Preferences…). (The page says Personal account. No where on the page do I find Sync.)
  4. Click Move… (Linux and Windows), or Dropbox location (macOS). (No can do.)
  5. Select the new location for your Dropbox folder. (I wish)
  6. Let Dropbox move your folder and its contents to the new location. (IF ONLY.)

Anyone have any ideas (other than repeating these instructions)?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moving Dropbox folder from C: to D:

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Single clicking or double clicking the Dropbox app icon makes no difference, the same Dropbox folders page pops up.
However, I did find the path to move the PC files on that page:
Dropbox folders page, upper left corner of the blue vertical banner, click on the three horizontal lines next to “Dropbox” > File > Preferences > Sync; at the bottom "Dropbox folder location" > "Move..."
RT

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@RussellThor wrote:

Dropbox Help gives these instructions for Move the Dropbox Folder:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar. (Did that, the window says "Dropbox" in bold and lists my folders--this must be my local file listings)

You double-clicked, which opened the Dropbox application. You want to single click to get the popup window (or a CTRL left-click for the legacy menu). You'll find Preferences after clicking your avatar (or just Preferences on the legacy menu).

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Single clicking or double clicking the Dropbox app icon makes no difference, the same Dropbox folders page pops up.
However, I did find the path to move the PC files on that page:
Dropbox folders page, upper left corner of the blue vertical banner, click on the three horizontal lines next to “Dropbox” > File > Preferences > Sync; at the bottom "Dropbox folder location" > "Move..."
RT

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?