cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving FileThis files to another Folder

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I use the FileThis website to retrieve finanancial documents and file them in Dropbox.  A folder named "Apps" with a sub-folder named "FileThis" with Sub-folders for each account were created in Dropbox.  I would like to change the folders being used. Is there a way to set it up so that the files go to a different folder than they are currently going?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moving FileThis files to another Folder

Super User II
Super User II

When third-party apps request access to your Dropbox they have two options available to them in the Dropbox API; app folder or full access. Applications that are written with app folder access can only access their own folder within the App folder of your account. Since that's the folder currently being used, it's unlikely that the app has access to any other part of your Dropbox.

You'll need to reach out to the developer of FileThis to be sure (since they're the ones that decide that), but it's doubtful you'll be able to move it to a different folder.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

When third-party apps request access to your Dropbox they have two options available to them in the Dropbox API; app folder or full access. Applications that are written with app folder access can only access their own folder within the App folder of your account. Since that's the folder currently being used, it's unlikely that the app has access to any other part of your Dropbox.

You'll need to reach out to the developer of FileThis to be sure (since they're the ones that decide that), but it's doubtful you'll be able to move it to a different folder.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't move them within Dropbox after FileThis has uploaded them to it's folder?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

I can't answer that as I'm not familiar with how FileThis works. All I can say is that if there's a third-party app that accesses files in an App folder, and you move those files out of the folder, the app will no longer be able to access those files. What consequences you have as a result would depend on the app.

You'll get a better answer if you ask the FileThis developers.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks. Understand

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?