cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Files from a Desktop Folder to a Cloud Folder

Moving Files from a Desktop Folder to a Cloud Folder

shadowmoses
Explorer | Level 4

-I currently have selective sync enabled.

-One of the included folders has images in it that I would like to move to an unsynced folder, ie one only stored within the cloud.

-Given that it is easier to move/handle files through the desktop version of Dropbox, I selected the desired images from there and dragged them to the unsynced cloud folder.

-Instead of being moved to the new folder, these images began uploading.

Can I assume that any files which would originate from the desktop would not be associated with their respective cloud versions? If so, would there be any way to work around this fact so that such files would move instead of upload?

Organizing files through the browser is a pain in the rear and something I'd like to avoid if at all possible. Also, I am not able to move the current location of my Dropbox folder, as that would break the various document links which are heavily utilized within my business.

Thanks

Edit- As an aside, keyboard shortcuts don't seem to be working for me in the browser. For instance, according to the Dropbox site I should be able to use the SHIFT key to select multiple consecutive files just as you could on the desktop.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moving Files from a Desktop Folder to a Cloud Folder

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, you’ll need to move files from a synced to unsynced folder via the browser, there isn’t another way currently using the desktop app, aside from uploading directly to the folder on the site.

Additionally, you can try a different browser, or use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, to see if this helps, which might also help with the shift key issue you’re experiencing.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi there, you’ll need to move files from a synced to unsynced folder via the browser, there isn’t another way currently using the desktop app, aside from uploading directly to the folder on the site.

Additionally, you can try a different browser, or use incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running, to see if this helps, which might also help with the shift key issue you’re experiencing.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

shadowmoses
Explorer | Level 4

@Jay wrote:

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I figured as much. On the bright side, I was able to determine why I couldn't utilize keyboard shorcuts previously; it seems they can only be activated in the List view, originally unbeknowst to myself.

Jay
Dropboxer
No probs!

BTW, is your username a reference to Metal Gear Solid, or the eponymous band?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    shadowmoses Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?