cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving From Team Drive (Google) to Dropbox Business

Explorer | Level 4

Hey everyone,

I am trying to move my team subcontractors from Google team drive to dropbox for business. We use a lot of Mac computers.

When going through this transition, I have tried to download files from the Google file stream to my Mac desktop. The problem is that finder won’t complete this action For even a small folder.

I am not sure why. The dropbox business team has not been very helpful in this.

It may be because I do not own all the files in the share drive.

I feel trapped inside of Google Drive and am willing to pay Dropbox more than Google to use their services.

Is there a way to show shared drive files only owned by me.

Does anyone have any solutions!?? I can’t even get my own files from Google Team Drive on my own desktop.

Please advise.

Derek

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Moving From Team Drive (Google) to Dropbox Business

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @DerekKelly, while I couldn’t advise on what may have gone wrong with the download from the third-party storage app to your desktop, I was able to run a quick search on my end & I could see that other Community members have enquired about that before here & here

Following, kindly note that the migration also depends on the file type you’re attempting to transfer. We don’t currently have the ability to import files directly from a Google Drive account, however as a workaround you can move files from Google Drive to your Dropbox account, using either of the following two options:

Spoiler
  1. You can download or export a copy of your file as a file type that can be added to Dropbox, like .docx or .pptx, and then upload it to Dropbox. This comes with the caveat that the imported file will no longer be in a Google document format.
  2. You can create a new Google document in Dropbox, and then copy and paste the contents over to it from the Google Drive version of the file. 

Please have a look at my advice whenever you have a bit of spare time & feel free to ping me back here if you have any additional questions or thoughts. Thanks & have a wonderful week ahead Derek! 

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Moving From Team Drive (Google) to Dropbox Business

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @DerekKelly, while I couldn’t advise on what may have gone wrong with the download from the third-party storage app to your desktop, I was able to run a quick search on my end & I could see that other Community members have enquired about that before here & here

Following, kindly note that the migration also depends on the file type you’re attempting to transfer. We don’t currently have the ability to import files directly from a Google Drive account, however as a workaround you can move files from Google Drive to your Dropbox account, using either of the following two options:

Spoiler
  1. You can download or export a copy of your file as a file type that can be added to Dropbox, like .docx or .pptx, and then upload it to Dropbox. This comes with the caveat that the imported file will no longer be in a Google document format.
  2. You can create a new Google document in Dropbox, and then copy and paste the contents over to it from the Google Drive version of the file. 

Please have a look at my advice whenever you have a bit of spare time & feel free to ping me back here if you have any additional questions or thoughts. Thanks & have a wonderful week ahead Derek! 

[This thread is now closed due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?