cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving Shared Folder

Moving Shared Folder

MJRM
Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to move shared folders I received from a client into another folder, so they will be sub-folders.  I keep getting the message that they can't be moved, but no reason why not.  What am I doing wrong?

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@MJRM wrote:

...  I keep getting the message that they can't be moved, but no reason why not.  ...

Hi @MJRM,

I just tried and no any problem moving received shared folder both using web interface and local file browser. What exactly you have received as a message? 🤔 Post some screenshot, which makes the issue clearer, so somebody would be able helps you.

MJRM
Explorer | Level 3

MJRM_0-1614029818807.png

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@MJRM wrote:

I am trying to move shared folders I received from a client into another folder, so they will be sub-folders.  ...

Hi @MJRM,

Are you sure that the message appear as a result of exactly "move shared folders"? 🤔 As far as I can see on your screenshot (it is not very clear, but... ), you are trying move something to or from content of a shared folder, not the shared folder itself! 🧐 Am I right?

You can make such move only if you have "Can edit" permission, granted by the owner! Does the sharing grant proper permission to you? 😉 Check it! By the way, you should be able move the shared item itself ( as you described in OP ), either file or folder, without need any additional permissions.

Hope this gives right direction.

MJRM
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for all the guidance.  I was trying to move the actual folder, so I assume that means I don't have permission.  I will just copy the contents.

Thanks!

Rich
Super User II

@MJRM wrote:

I was trying to move the actual folder, so I assume that means I don't have permission.

You should be able to move a shared folder to another location in your Dropbox, but you can't move it into another shared folder. That would certainly produce an error.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?