cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving a shared folder (again)

Moving a shared folder (again)

madmartigan
Explorer | Level 3

I know there have been some posts about this before, but I can't find the solution to my issue there. A folder has been shared with me, which was automatically added to my Dropbox root folder. Since it is for a customer's project, I'd like to move it to DropboxRoot/Customers/CustomerName/. However, when I try to do so, I get the error "Can't move [FOLDERNAME] to [LOCATION]. To move this folder, you need access to edit the folder it is in." (with of course the actual folder name and location instead of the bracketed expressions). I have no idea how to solve this, I can remember having moved shared folders to another location before. To be clear, my "Customers" folder is not a shared folder, so I'm not trying to nest shared folders. I also noticed that I am allowed to copy it to the desired location, but I don't know what will then happen with sharing/syncing, and whether I can then remove it from the root.

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

Are you using a Windows machine?

Is it possible the file path is too long? Maybe if you make the folder names shorter it will work

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

madmartigan
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the quick reply, Mark. I'm on a Mac, and the location would go from [DROPBOX ROOT] / [SHARED FOLDER NAME] to [DROPBOX ROOT] / [CUSTOMERS] / [CUSTOMER NAME] / ]PROJECT NAME‘ / [SHARED FOLDER NAME]. Should not be too bad, right?

Rich
Super User II

@madmartigan wrote:

I'm on a Mac, and the location would go from [DROPBOX ROOT] / [SHARED FOLDER NAME] to [DROPBOX ROOT] / [CUSTOMERS] / [CUSTOMER NAME] / ]PROJECT NAME‘ / [SHARED FOLDER NAME]. Should not be too bad, right?

If you're on a modern Mac (using APFS as the file system), the maximum length limit of a file's name is 255 characters. This includes every character in the file's full path from the root of the drive, not just the root of your Dropbox folder.

madmartigan
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Rich, many thanks. I’m afraid that can’t be the issue, since I can copy the folder to that location, just not move it. And I’m not sure what happens to syncing if I copy it and then delete the original...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @madmartigan, thanks for messaging the Community!

Could you forward a screenshot of where you're seeing this message, while hiding any personal info?

Are you trying to move the folder via the Dropbox site or the Dropbox folder in Finder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Need more support?