cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move an existing Shared folder to a new Team folder

Moving a shared folder into a team folder

acruzat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Though some people have asked similar questions, I do not see how best to solve this.  I jave a business account.  When people share folders with me they appear in(side) my personal folder within the business account.  At the root, we use folders for each project and would like to move each shared folder to the corresponding Project Folder.  This cannot be done as the project folders are shared with the corresponding team.  Even if the people sharing a folder include each team member in the share, it will not let me move it into the corresponging Project Folder.  Thus, each of us ends up with the shared folder in the wrong folder.  How can we solve this?   

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @acruzat, I hope you're well today!

You will only be able to move shared folders into team folders if the owner of the shared folder is a member on the team. 

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like those outside of the team that share the folders with you are the owners of these folders. This means that you will only be able to see these within your personal member folder.

What I can suggest to allow you to move the folders within the project team folders would be to request those outside the team to transfer the ownership of the shared folder to one of the team members.

Otherwise, when you will share with people outside of your team, you can create the folder inside the project folder where it needs to be and then share this with those outside the team to add content into it.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @acruzat, I hope you're well today!

You will only be able to move shared folders into team folders if the owner of the shared folder is a member on the team. 

From what you've mentioned, it sounds like those outside of the team that share the folders with you are the owners of these folders. This means that you will only be able to see these within your personal member folder.

What I can suggest to allow you to move the folders within the project team folders would be to request those outside the team to transfer the ownership of the shared folder to one of the team members.

Otherwise, when you will share with people outside of your team, you can create the folder inside the project folder where it needs to be and then share this with those outside the team to add content into it.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

acruzat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Still with the same issue.  I understand this is a design problem in Dropbox.  It makes Dropbox quite useless for consultants like me.  My clients share folders with me and other lawyers/consultants so that we can all work on a project together.  But all these shared folders end up in my personal space.  I have no way to work on them with my team.  Useless!! 

FlopBloxUser
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this possible? I can't find any way to do it via the web interface and no mention of how in any help videos that I can find.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Happy Monday @FlopBloxUser

If you haven't had the chance, feel free to take a look into @Daphne's reply here

I hope this clarifies. If you need anything else, let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FlopBloxUser
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

OK, I found how to do it. You have to select the folder you want to move, then drag-n-drop it to the team.  Seemingly intuitive, not sure why it took so long for me to find it.

FlopBloxUser
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So I figured out why it wasn't easy to find. If you click on a folder to select it (the checkbox), then try and drag-n-drop it, you can't. You have to select the folder (without letting up on the mouse button), then drag-n-drop it.  

creativerise
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This suggestion is ridiculous and most of the time not feasable, as acruzat explained in detail. So to summarize: With dropbox it is not possible for several different teams to work on the same project, sharing the data directly.

Need more support?