cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving dropbox folder

Moving dropbox folder

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

I have just moved to a new computer with programmes on C drive and data files on D drive. I was quite proud of myself to succeed in getting Dropbox to move to the D drive, but in the process I have ended up with D:\dropbox (which I'll call Dropbox 1 here for simplicity) and D:\dropbox\dropbox (which I'll call Dropbox 2). I want to just have Dropbox 1, as this is where my photos are (not sure why they aren't in Dropbox 2) and this is where Lightroom saves my photos to. Dropbox 2 is also the version which shows in Windows 10 file explorer above all the other folders (though below Quick Access and Creative cloud, which I don't use)

I've seen old threads via Google which refer to not being able to point Dropbox at a folder which already exists (Dropbox 1 for me) but no solution.

11 Replies 11

Re: Moving dropbox folder

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @DorsetLyn, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

It sounds like when you moved the Dropbox folder, you may have chosen the parent folder to be a Dropbox folder that already exists on your D drive.

When you choose the destination folder, you need to choose the parent folder that you want the Dropbox folder to be held within.

Can you try moving the Dropbox folder once more and instead choose just the "D" drive, if you want the Dropbox folder to be one of the top folders?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne. thanks for the reply. When I try to aim it at D Drive, it tells me there is already a Drobox folder there. I know it exists, but I want the system to use it, not Dropbox/drobox.

Lyn

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey there, Lyn; I'm sorry to jump in here, but can you try pointing your Dropbox folder to your already existing one rather than the D drive alone? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Walter. I've got d:\dropbox and d:\dropbox\dropbox. I want to use the former, but if I point Dropbox at d:\ it says (most annoyingly) I've already got a folder. When i pointed it at D:\dropbox it created the dropbox/dropbox folder which I don't want.

I'm wondering if uninstalling and re-installing Dropbox would help.

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

From DorsetLyn - please ignore the emojis in the previous message, I don't know why they appeared.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the follow up, Lyn!

I think there's an issue with the path you're choosing; could you send me a screenshot of the error you get when you try to point your Dropbox folder onto your existing one? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter.  I can't see how to send you a screenshot - I took one via Greenshot, but it won't copy into this message - I will send it if you tell me how to do so.  To describ what I did: I went into Dropbox - Preferences - Sync and used the Dropbox folder location box to navigate to where I've got the Dropbox folder I want to go on using. The message was: "Error with selected folder. This folder already contains a Drobox dirctory".

Thanks for your help.

Lyn

Walter
Dropboxer
If the button to choose a file to upload in your reply's box isn't working, you could share a link instead, Lyn.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

DorsetLyn
Explorer | Level 3

@Walter wrote:
If the button to choose a file to upload in your reply's box isn't working, you could share a link instead, Lyn.

I can't see an upload button at all and thought links were to urls. However, as one can put in a photo - try thisDropbox error message.png

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?