cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving files/folders on my Mac, but I don't have enough space for all my Dropbox files.

Moving files/folders on my Mac, but I don't have enough space for all my Dropbox files.

xJagerManx
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I have a mac and I do not have enough space to unload all of my dropbox items onto it.  I bought a 1tb external drive hoping I can use that as the destination but it is not allowing it that way.  I do have over 30k items downloaded to my mac so if I move those and delete them, will it sync where it left off or start over (if that is my only option)?  Was hoping for something quick and painless and it is taking some time as I have never done this.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

Re: Moving files/folders on my Mac, but I don't have enough space for all my Dropbox files.

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @xJagerManx, I hope you're well today!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, are you just trying to download the files from your Dropbox account to your Mac computer?

Also, are the files that are currently on your computer in Dropbox synced locally, or "online only" with Smart Sync?

Just to note, if the app is trying to sync your files, and you delete the files from the local Dropbox folder on your computer, this deletion will sync to your account online.

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Moving files/folders on my Mac, but I don't have enough space for all my Dropbox files.

xJagerManx
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for reaching out.  Hope my response below helps:

- These are downloading to my Mac's internal SSD and I do not have enough space

- I bought an external SSD in hopes I can make the the drive they would sync to, but it is not allowing me to do that

- I want to make sure I don't lose anything and hope there is a quick way to just bypass my Mac SSD and goes right into the external SSD I bought

I hope that answers

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @xJagerManx, and clarifying that!

In this case, we'd need to follow these steps to move the default Dropbox folder location, however since the app is trying to sync those files down to your computer

Can you try pausing the sync, and then following those steps to move the Dropbox folder to the external drive?

If not, just let me know so we can try another method.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rieglerphoto
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same issue - however the support page you linked to says to:

How to move your Dropbox folder

1. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  2. Click the Sync tab.
  3. Click Move… (Linux and Windows), or Dropbox location (macOS).
  4. Select the new location for your Dropbox folder.
  5. Let Dropbox move your folder and its contents to the new location.

But my Sync tab, nor any other tab have "Move" or "Dropbox Location" as an option. This used to be something I could find easily. It seems to be missing from some recent update. Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 1.58.38 PM.png

xJagerManx
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you.  I removed the sync to my internal harddrive on the Mac and it is now removing them all off the laptop.  However, when I try and use my SanDisk Extreme SSD as the location, I get the following message: 

To sync your Dropbox, move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with HFS+ or APFS.

I am not sure how to get around this protion?  

xJagerManx
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for this.  I show a different view on mine.   Please see below.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 11.56.15 AM.png

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @xJagerManx, if it's not too much trouble, could you send us a screenshot of the exact error message that you're getting?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?