cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving files from Dropbox folder on pc back to normal location

Moving files from Dropbox folder on pc back to normal location

Helpful | Level 5

Apps I use like quicken have locations they wish to store data. I do not want to duplicate the file by leaving in dropbox, but when I take out of dropbox folder after uploading, it deletes the file from dropbox.com. How do I keep this from happening so I can continue to use the normal location for data files of each app, and be able to upload to dropbox? I use the free app provided with quicken.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Moving files from Dropbox folder on pc back to normal location

Helpful | Level 5

The community article state that one could access the synch menu from settings on the desktop app. The problem is that one doesn't have that menu on the desktop app when one clicks their picture. They have to go to the online app and click their picture to get the preferrence menu. But the preference menu does NOT have a Sync menu which is supposed to contain the selective sync option. So I guess there is a disconnect with the instructions and the preference menu. So it appears the only options are to put in a shortcut for each app pointing to the desktop folder, or simply use the Microsoft One Drive app that I use for most other things (no problem with that app).

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Super User II

You need to tell each program individually to save the files directly in to Dropbox - usually in preferences menu.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

I do not want to rename data file locations in apps to dropbox. I read a help article a couple months back in how to allow this but cannot find article anymore. When I went in to accomplish the fix, the interface was different than what was in the post. There should be a way to allow this if I do not want continual updates on the file. In quicken, one gets a new data file update with each activity. Should be allowed to upload from the normal data location.

Super User II

Dropbox as a program has never allowed you to sync files and folders from outside of the the \Dropbox directory. 

So the only way to do it - without a hack/workaround from unsupported sources (i.e. data integrity risks) is to move the saving location of the programs. Its usually dead easy to do inside the Preferences menus of the applications. 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Helpful | Level 5

I agree that to upload the file or synch it, it must be in the dropbox folder. However, I read a post saying one could go into a menu item in dropbox and allow you to move OUT of the dropbox the file you uploaded if it doesn't need to be synched in the future, WITHOUT deleting it from dropbox. I will keep looking for the post, but perhaps its been removed as I can no longer find it, and the screens to do it had items that did not exist.

Helpful | Level 5

I found the post I referenced earlier about how to keep a file on dropbox.com, but have it removed from the dropbox folder on the pc. The only problem is that when I went to perform this task, the screens didn't line up with the instructions.  Is this an internal synch problem with dropbox?

Helpful | Level 5

Settings in the sync tab

Selective sync

Selective sync lets you choose which folders from your Dropbox online account sync to the Dropbox folder on your computer. If you deselect a folder, it won't appear in your Dropbox folder, but it's still in your account on dropbox.com. We recommend you use selective sync for files you don't use very often. 

Problems is, it didn't work.

Helpful | Level 5

The community article state that one could access the synch menu from settings on the desktop app. The problem is that one doesn't have that menu on the desktop app when one clicks their picture. They have to go to the online app and click their picture to get the preferrence menu. But the preference menu does NOT have a Sync menu which is supposed to contain the selective sync option. So I guess there is a disconnect with the instructions and the preference menu. So it appears the only options are to put in a shortcut for each app pointing to the desktop folder, or simply use the Microsoft One Drive app that I use for most other things (no problem with that app).

View solution in original post

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?