cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving folders while retaining file histories

Moving folders while retaining file histories

Helpful | Level 5

We have a Business Standard account, for which I am Admin.  I would like to restructure our space, but I do not want to lose file histories.  I am simplifying to only include the folders and files in question.  

We have a key folder, A, with two folders within, B and C.  I am the owner of folder A, and it is shared with the rest of the team.  Folder B has folders within, call them B1, B2, etc.  Folder C also has folders within, call them C1, C2, etc.  I want to move folder B1 to be within C1, and I want all the file history to stay with the files inside B1 when I move B1.  

Can I do it?  Assume I will use the web interface.  Also, everybody has a Dropbox folder on their PC which is autosynced.

1 Reply 1

Re: Moving folders while retaining file histories

Dropboxer

Hi @Mike_D, thanks for posting today!

If you move files within your Dropbox account, then the version history will be maintained, however, with some caveats.

Namely, if another user who wasn't invited to folder B, but is invited to folder C, wanted to restore to a version before the move, they wouldn't be able to do so since they didn't have access to the file at that time. Only you, and users also in folder B, would be able to restore because they had access to the original folder.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?