cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Versioned backups? Restore destination?

Moving from CrashPlan to Dropbox. Does it offer versioning history and restore destinations?

norm3
Explorer | Level 4

Two part question from a first timer to the Dropbox Community.

I've used Dropbox for a few years but so far only for syncing files between my computers and some file sharing.

I've used CrashPlan for versioned backups. But it is cancelling support for my type of plan.

So... Can Dropbox be my replacement is my bottom line question.

Dropbox provides "versioned backups" for 30 days. Correct?

Can that be extended?

When/if I restore a file, where does the restored file go? Does it overwrite the current version on my computer or ?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Simply put - I'm in the same boat.

Do not do it.

Dropbox is NOT a backup tool. Do not rely upon it. Even though you can extend the 30 days with upgraded accounts doing restores takes time, replaces the current ones (unless you do it one by one) and only keeps them for that 30 (or longer) days. Backups should not automatically delete versions etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II
Simply put - I'm in the same boat.

Do not do it.

Dropbox is NOT a backup tool. Do not rely upon it. Even though you can extend the 30 days with upgraded accounts doing restores takes time, replaces the current ones (unless you do it one by one) and only keeps them for that 30 (or longer) days. Backups should not automatically delete versions etc.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Need more support?