cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my directories under a higher leve umbrella library I just created

Moving my directories under a higher leve umbrella library I just created

welscanadalibrary
Explorer | Level 4

Here's my issue.  Some time ago I created 12 directories for my organization.  I set up different accesses for each directory.  In other words some have access to all 12 while others have access to only some of the 12.  I would like to create a directory above these 12, a kind of umbrella directory.  I would give all members access to that higher level directory but I don't want that access to extend to all of the 12 below it.  I want to keep those accesses as they are.  I'm under the impression that full access to the highest level gives you full access to everything below it.  I don't want that to be the case.  I want some of the members to see only some of the 12 below the highest directory.  Hope that makes sense.   HELP!!!

4 Replies 4

Re: Moving my directories under a higher leve umbrella library I just created

Mark
Super User II

Hi @welscanadalibrary 

Your assumption is right. If you give everybody access to the new 'parent' folder they would automatically get access to all of the 12 folders underneath. 

In fact what you may actually find is you cannot set up the parent folder share OR move the folders in to the new parent folder because the 12 are already shared - Dropbox would almost certainly give you an error that shares cannot be inside of shares.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

welscanadalibrary
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for confirming for me what I suspected.  Is there any way some sort of consolidation can occur?  Could the member who has Dropbox on his own PC somehow amalgamate the folders he has access to under a single directory he creates in Dropbox on his own computer.

Some memberes are saying that the names of some of my directories conflict with similar names of other directories they have access to from other sources.  If they could somehow move mine under a directory they create on their own computer, that would take care of it.  

Am I making sense and  is this feasible?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @welscanadalibrary, this would be possible under a Dropbox Business team.

You could have a team folder to which everyone is invited to, and then you can restrict access to folders beneath that, so that not everyone can access those folders.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mark
Super User II

Hi @welscanadalibrary 

People within shares can move folders around AND rename them as much as they want without it causing issues to anybody else 🙂

The only thing they cannot do is nest them

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?