cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving online files within Windows File Explorer - PROBLEM!

Moving online files within Windows File Explorer - PROBLEM!

LB77
Explorer | Level 3

When one of our users moves DropBox online files from within Windows File Explorer to another folder within DropBox, the progress popup stays at 0% and it looks like nothing happens within the File Explorer window. When they refresh the File Explorer window, the file has moved to the destination folder but, the progress popup is still stuck at 0% and they're forced to close that window.  During the move, it looks like DropBox downloads the file,  moves it and then syncs again. These are not big files at all, mainly upto 2mb in file size.

This does not happen when they move local files within DropBox to another folder within DropBox.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

LB.

6 Replies 6

Re: Moving online files within Windows File Explorer

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @LB77, welcome to our Community! 

Can I ask the version of the Dropbox desktop application that the user has installed on their device? 

Also, any screenshots showing the process are welcome. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LB77
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

It's version 1.3.503.1

The process is just moving a file into another file - drag and drop.  The progress box in the image below is an example however, the 'complete' section is stuck at 0% and there is no indication the file has moved until file explorer has been refreshed, and then the client has to close the progress box.

dropbox-01.png

As mentioned in my previous post, this only seems to affect moving/copy/paste online files from one location to another. It's not just affecting one person but, a few.

Lori
Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional details @LB77

Keep in mind that what you're describing isn't related to the Dropbox app, but to the OS installed on the device itself. 

It's not the app that is stuck syncing content, it's the progress window of the device. 

However, from what I understand, the files sync without a hitch.

Have you tried installing the OS of the device this is happening to?

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LB77
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lori,

I understand that you say it's an OS issue however, it only happens when related to DropBox online files. OneDrive - no issues, GDrive - no issues but, DropBox does create issues. Everything else works fine. So, to me, the issue is with the DropBox software, possibly that it has to download the file first and then move the file?

I did check the event logs relating to file explorer but nothing stood out.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @LB77, thanks for writing back! 

Would you mind if I sent you an email so we could have a closer look into this together? 

Keep me updated.

Lori
dropbox.com/support

LB77
Explorer | Level 3

Sure.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LB77 Explorer | Level 3
    Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?