cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Computer Back-Ups

Multiple Computer Back-Ups

Explorer | Level 3

Pretty much everyone in my family has a free Dropbox account and use it for everything.  The free version meets all of our needs andwe saw no reason to upgrade.   

I normally back up all of my family's computers to the cloud to a different paid service, I bought a Lifetime Account with Zoolz.  Like all things too good to be true, they are now terminating all lifetime PAID accounts.  Their cloud "Cold Storage" service was pretty horrible.  It could take 3 hour to restore a 5mg file. 

Question:  If I buy a 2 TB account for my account, would it be possible to backup all of the family's computers who are using FREE accounts?  My initial idea was that I could make Back up folders on my account and Share the Folders and then back up from each computer.    I am not sure if that will work.  Can you have a shared folder that is bigger than your free account?

Any ideas on how to best do this with dropbox?  Otherwise, I will sign up for a Backup Cloud service.  

I would love to do this with Dropbox.  They have an amazing product and have been very generous with their free accounts. 

Thanks. 

4 Replies 4

Re: Multiple Computer Back-Ups

Dropboxer

Hey @GaryDZ, thanks for checking in with us. 

You sure can create shared folders in your account and share them with others. 

However, note that shared folders take up space in both your account and theirs. 

Out of curiosity, would the other users need to edit any of the contents, or would simply viewing them be enough?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

No... they do not need to edit them.  I do not care if they even see them.  

Explorer | Level 3

Their free account woulld not have enought space to hold their backups.  

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift reply, @GaryDZ

In that case, you can simply create folders and add the files.

You can even send them file requests, so that they can add files to your account, without impacting their own. 

If they wish to see view these files at any point in time, you can send them a shared link to the folders which, again, won't have an effect on their own accounts. 

I hope this helps, but let me know if I missed anything or if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?