Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Multiple Dropbox folders within external drive after downloading desktop app? - synching confusion!

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I recently bought a 2nd laptop. I was using Dropbox on my old device, the dropbox folder on an external drive - no problems. C drive path for Dropbox \Users\Mandy\Dropbox and on the external drive: E:\ABC Dropbox\Dropbox 

On my new laptop in the same Path I only see the Dropbox (Old) folder so path = \Users\Mandy\ 

When the external drive is connected to this laptop its path = E:\ABC Dropbox\Dropbox\Dropbox

I can see the main folder that I was previously using, within the first "Dropbox" (light blue icon) folder but there is now also, what seems to be a duplicate of my main folder within the second "Dropbox" folder (bright blue icon) and it is causing huge confusion for me. Should/could I delete the second Dropbox folder and contents? If I do this will the first (original one) be recognized and synch the same way as on my old laptop? Should I maybe uninstall dropbox app altogether and start from scratch? I don't remember choosing the external drive as a destination for the new folder...but it seems this is where it has ended up. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Multiple Dropbox folders within external drive after downloading desktop app? - synching confusi

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @mandymoo_av,

Yes, it's normal. The Dropbox directory is (how to say) 'signed'. So the new installation recognize 'foreign' directory and for safety - it try keep it untouched (renaming it). That's it. If same Dropbox account is used then both have to be the same. You can safely remove the old.

Hope this helps!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?