cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple synced folders

Highlighted

Multiple synced folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi. Now that symlinks out of the Dropbox folder don't really work anymore (they used to work fine) is there some other solution on the way from Dropbox, that can include system folders like for instance Documents and Pictures on MacOS? 

As such folders cannot really be moved to the Dropbox folder (many applications assume where they are, etc.) it would be a great feature to be able to properly sync such "external folders" also with the Dropbox client.

An obvious way to do it could be as part of the Selective Sync functionality: the ability to map any Dropbox (cloud) folder to any local folder.

I really hope you guys are working on something like that, as this is not really possibly to do quite as efficiently in a 3rd party client via the API (delta uploads/downloads, streaming, etc.)

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Multiple synced folders

Super User II
Super User II

Note: I dont work for Dropbox

But, this is something they've always said they'd never do as it is too unreliable. Personally I cannot see it ever happening if I'm honest.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Re: Multiple synced folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the input. 

As a software developer I don't see how this would be unreliable in any way, if implemented properly. For some users it might be difficult to understand, so should perhaps be a feature that is explicitly activated. But this is mostly a matter of good GUI design.

Overall I was just thinking that this would be a really killer feature for many users - among these also me. In fact I am reasearching which other product to use instead, now that the symlink solution doesn't work anymore.

(Unfortunately implementing a new open source client is both a huge work, and also impossible to get as efficient as the official Dropbox client).

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?