Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My 700 files aren't syncing at all

Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox is stuck synching. Its been trying to synch 700 files for hours. So far I have tried re-intstalling Dropbox and restarting the laptop but to no avail. I've also treid unlinking the account and then re-linking. I've read a few of the earlier threads but can't seem to find the right fix. Accounts that are managed by other users and which I shre are working fine. It's just my own files that will not synch.

Thanks

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: My 700 files aren't syncing at all

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Margaret-Polly, I'm sorry to hear about that!

So I have a better understanding of the issue, can you let me know the following:

• What does the sync status of your desktop app show?
  • Which version of the app do you have installed?

If you see any errors in the sync status when you click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray, please send a screenshot of that excluding any personal info.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. I'm sorry to have been slow to respond. I don't see any errors in the app. It says "Indexing 695 files (2+ days) Indexing one file". The version is V93.4.273. It also says that I have only used 57% of the available space.

Thanks

Margaret

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I should also have said that the blue synching icon is turning OK. It's been turning for a week now!

Margaret

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Margaret-Polly!

Can you let me know if that number appears to be decreasing at all, or does it stay the same?

If the number doesn't seem to be decreasing at all, can you try the steps below to see if that does the trick?

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Space bar key, click "Fix permissions".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please try clicking the option "Fix Hardlinks" instead. The app will need to apply the changes after this, so please just keep an eye out for any progress.

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. The number of files to synch is not diminishing so I attempted to follow your route. I found the Profile icon then Preferences then Account, but when holding down the space bar neither Fix Permissions nor Fix Hardware options appeared. The only items in Account were Space and Account Linking.

More clues needed I'm afraid but thanks so far.

Margaret

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying out those steps @Margaret-Polly!

When you get to the account tab in the desktop app preferences, can you try clicking in the empty space on the window and try holding down the space bar again to see if that show the options?

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Daphne, I am having a similar problem. I have DropBox plus (2 TB). I see all of my files in the cloud, but I want them all local. And despite selecting local for smart sync I never get my updated files sent to my local drive. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @DocMoliver, I'd be more than happy to help!

It seems you're actually having a different issue, but not to worry.

It sounds like your files are currently in your Dropbox folder as "online only" with Smart Sync, showing a grey cloud icon. Is that right?

Changing the default settings within the desktop app won't work retroactively, only for new files. Can you try selecting your folders/files, right click and choose "Smart Sync - Local"?

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

actually went through help chat box and got all the way to screen share and the dropbox support person had to kick it up a level. We are stuck - not syncing. Thanks anyway. I am waiting on a higher level of support to follow up with me. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?