cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Mac default folder structure is fck up by Dropbox.

My Mac default folder structure is fck up by Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I just want to solve this, quit Dropbox and never look back, so tired of this expensive turtle service.

For some weird reason, the DB backup feature for Desktop, Download and Documents have been activated, which has turned the default location into DB aliases, which means my Desktop is now on Dropbox, and not on my computer. 
Been trying everything to unlink this, but im stuck. Deleting desktop folder, and copy it back didnt change anything, my desktop is still on Dropbox.

Anyone who could help?
Been trying to get help from support, but its worthless and just wasting my time, for nothing, with no solution whatsoever.

3 Replies 3

Re: My Mac default folder structure is fck up by Dropbox.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@cineview wrote:

For some weird reason, the DB backup feature for Desktop, Download and Documents have been activated, which has turned the default location into DB aliases, which means my Desktop is now on Dropbox, and not on my computer. 

Hi @cineview,

Yes, not very well implemented introduction to that feature (not to say something else), unfortunately. It's not activated "for some weird reason", but you had been ask for this "by the way" and most probably, like many other users, you have choosed it without think what's actually going on. And as a result of bad implementation and bad introduction, your feelings (and not only your) come up.

The folders you have mentioned should be still on your computer and they have never get out of there, if you don't explicitly remove them. They just have moved into Dropbox folder (the folder residing in your computer still, like your user directory, where mentioned directories come from). Anyway... You can try move them back following directions in computer backup description in the part of "Turn off computer backup".

Hope this helps.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks,

That only works for the download folder, the other two gives a error message saying the folders are not in their default location, well, i already know that, cause theire in an alias folder trough Dropbox im not able to disable.
Like my Desktop, i cannot drag that anywhere else.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Ok, one less problematic folder! :winking face: Let be optimistic.

In such a case, make sure everything related to "Dropbox Backup" (so called) is off. And try "revert" by hand. Make sure you aren't referring to the problematic folders from anywhere, including some common application or the finder, i.e. no one running process points into those folders. Using finder (the default view) remove the problematic references and create new folders, in same place, with the same name. After that you should be able move back folders content to the original position.

Enjoy!

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?