Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Smart sync settings lost.

Ian A.7 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I started my Windows 10 PC today. I had many folders set to smart sync. Those selections and designations appear to be gone, and now my entire departments shared drop box is being synced. I do not have space and this is bogging down my resources. New files I will need can not be synced.  What do I do to restore my settings?

3 Replies 3

Re: My Smart sync settings lost.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @Ian A.7

In general, please bear in mind that there may be processes on your computer that look at files which haven’t been manually opened and, to fulfill these requests, Dropbox syncs them. Examples of these include, backup services, antivirus, recently used file lists, or any other third party app that monitors files in general.

Although you should be able to turn local files into online-only by simply right-clicking on them and selecting the relevant Smart Sync option, if there are apps that constantly/persistently look at your files, they may come back, just as you described. 

For this reason, I'd suggest running some tests by temporarily quitting/disabling apps systematically, until you see that the issue is resolved. The last app you closed when the issue no longer occurred may be the one performing this action.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ian A.7 New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The Problem went away on its own, olikely it was fixed by DropBox or another service several days later. The advice to start and stop apps was not news,  it was time consuming and ambiguous, and after starting and stopping many apps and services I saw no differance. I kept Drop Box off for about a week, and then turned it on to find the problem was no longer presenting.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that you're not experiencing this behavior any more, @Ian A.7

If it persists in the future or you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a nudge. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?