cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My boss has sent me a shared link that wouldn't open when clicking on it. What can I do?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am recently having issues opening a dropbox link from my boss through email. I was able to open and download these files in the past with no problem.  I get no error message, it just does nothing when I click on it.  Other people copied in the same email are able to open it.  Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: email links

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @wibis, I’m here to help! 

Quick guess: Maybe your boss has pasted it on the email chain using Ctrl+Shift+V? Does the shared link appear as blue or are you just seeing the text? 

Have you by any chance tried copying the text & pasting it on a new browsing window? 

I hope my pointers help; please let me know how you get on!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Jane, thank you for your reply.

The link is blue in the email and turns a pink color when I click on it but nothing happens. I have tried pasting to a browser window and it goes to the dropbox main site.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the extra details & apologies for the slight delay @wibis

• Is it possible that they’ve sent you the .url they’re seeing in their browser instead of the shared link?
  • Maybe your colleagues accessing the shared link are seeing the content because they can access the parent folder?
Please let me know if either of these scenarios applies. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?