cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My computer began to sync to Dropbox and now my files are missing

My computer began to sync to Dropbox and now my files are missing

Tech Autos
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all

I have just got drop box and it has decided to upload all of my computor online. During the process it has not deleted all my company folders from my laptop. (First pissed off face) then it has decided to remove it all from drop box and lost my whole company! (Major angry face) can any of you help me recover my data or give me a phone number so i can have a conversation with someone about sorting this. I'm not only a whole company missing so cant do anything electroniclly now but also a few hundred pounds down from different computor companies having ago at recovering it all. 

Thanks in advance for you help.

Dan

3 Replies 3

Re: My computer began to sync to Dropbox and now my files are missing

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Tech Autos, thanks for posting on the Community.

It sounds like you've enabled the computer backup feature on your device.

If there are any deleted files, try recovering them from the Dropbox site. You can also try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in this article.

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the site. However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Regarding phone support, currently, we only provide incoming phone support for team admins of Dropbox Business subscriptions.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Sylola
New member | Level 2

I have a similar problem and I am desperate . Everything I work on was in my dropbox which synced beautifully between my local laptop and the dropbox site. I left town and am now using a borrowed laptop (since mine has a cracked and  non-working screen) and none of my files are on the dropbox website. Why? And what can I do?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Sylola, are you absolutely certain you're signed into the same Dropbox account?

Do you see any files on the events page, or the deleted files page?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?